Catilina in the sky over PEAKE!

flyerme

Yesturday while my son and I where driving to Peake , I noticed a plane heading toward us,I stopped and we got out to witness a catilina flying boat at NO more than 300ft fly over us!! It was white with light and dark blue detailing,the twin engines sounded like they were idling and holly hell was it loud! I really thought he was in trouble and coming down..but he continued into the distance,it seemed to be heading toward meningie.weather was slight shower but nothing that would have him down that low.never seen such a big aircraft(thats not at an airshow) flying that low..glad I was NOT in the thruster on my way ..I like to fly low at 5-600 ft to peake..hmm will keep a extra eye out for traffic...

any one know anything about the flying boat?

Would imagine it is the HARS one based at Wollongong. I have seen it a few times and the pilots seem to like flying close to the deck. Not that I can blame them, I mean what an awesome view!!! Wish I was there with you at the time!

Spoke to another nieghbour who also seen it,he said it was on channel 7 news last night,it landed at lake alexandreena(near meningie) it was a ww2 ALBERTROSS flying boat on its way to W.A, with new owner piloting,,,what an awesome site and the noise, a site i'll forever remember..wish I had the cam.

The Albatross is a post war development of the Grumman Mallard. Weighs a bit more than a DC-3 and has 2 x 1400 (Approx) HP Wright R-1820 engines. ( Single row, similar to a Trojan). Cruises at about 200 knots so wouldn't be nice to hit a pelican or an U/L at that speed.

Designed with a deep hull for rough sea alighting. Nice toy if you could afford it

Jimmy Buffett, the singer who penned the lines, "I'd rather die while I'm living, than live while I'm dead" owns and used to fly an Albertross.

In 1996, the "Hemisphere Dancer" (The aircraft's name) was shot at by Jamaican authorities as Jimmy taxied it in the water near Negril. The Jamaicans had mistaken it for a drug-runner’s plane. Today, the aircraft is parked outside Jimmy's restraunt in Orlando Florida.

If you tell me Tomo that you have actually flown one, I'll...????? Stone the crows.045_beg.gif.b05ea876053438dae8f282faacd973d1.gif.Alan.

Yeah , like that Alan . And thanks Tomo for the link . My father was a flight engineer in a Cat. all those years ago . Also reminds me of the first time I flew into Longreach about 4 years ago , landing about half way down the 2000 metre strip.

Bob

Yes that is right it is an Albertross and headed to WA,Broome to be precise, to do tours to the horizontal water falls apparently.

Was in Swan Hill on Sunday and took off for Lake Alexandrina. Was here for the Catalina Flying boat Museum opening on the weekend. Certainly was loud enough but it did sound good, I have some photos on my phone but stuffed if I know how to put them up here and they are only just as they were a bit far away.Took a video of the takeoff too but it is a bit far away too got to about 50 feet and banked left must have different rules for sea planes!! Had to park my ute under the left engine and get ladder on to the tray so they could look at oil leak but all seemed ok in the end. Really nice old plane though

Stewy