Aviation Safety Digest

For those who don't know what it is: http://www.airwaysmuseum.com/Aviation%20Safety%20Digest.htm I wish I had kept them all and I didn't think that I had any until I found Issue #117 today when I was cleaning up. Apart from a few subtle mentions of the date being 1983 it could've been written this year with the articles it contains:

• Bouncing to an accident - mislandings and corrective actions

• Aerobatics and pilot limitations. " .... continued performing aerobatics at about 500 feet AGL. Witnesses observed the aircraft begin a looping manoeuvre from which it entered a spin to the left. Recovery was initiated but the aircraft then began to spin to the right. Rotation then stopped with the aircraft pointing vertically downwards. During the recovery from the dive the aircraft struck the ground, still over 30 degrees nose down, with the wings level."

• The pilot continued flight into weather conditions ...... "Just why VFR pilots continue flight into weather conditions in which they are unable to maintain the visual references to ensure adequate terrain clearance remains unclear, for most pilots involved in such accidents do not survive to explain their reasoning."

• A casual approach. "Two different kinds of approach were features of this accident .. The first was a very experienced pilot's rather casual approach to his preflight inspection, The second was an unorthodox final approach into a difficult landing area."

• Military firing ranges. "The danger of flight through active military restricted areas ..."

• Pilot contribution - Reflections on an accident. "The aircraft took off prematurely, stalled, enetred an incipient spin to the right and crashed."

• Modifications and cockpit ergonomics. "The pilot rotated the aircraft and shortly after establishing it in the climb he noticed that the landing gear was in the UP position ... Postflight inspection revealed that the propeller was abraded on its tips... CB radio microphone had been installed immediately below the landing gear selector."

• Reader contribution - Fuel tank water drain checks.

• Dress for crash survival. "Each year a number of pilots are killed in survivable accidents. One reason some die so tragically and unnecessarily is their omission to wear suitable protective clothing."

• Playing with fire. "During start-up the right engine .. caught fire."

• Propeller blade damage and maintenance.

Indeed a classic!

• Like 1

Guest davidh10

Good article and the quality of reproduction was fine.

During my training, I did my fair share of bouncy landings although most were only minor.

One that sticks in my memory was when learning cross-wind landings. The day was 20G25 knots on the ground at about 30 degrees to the runway direction and 40 knots at circuit height. With that strength down-wind, I had 9 landings in the hour (8 touch & go). I had sore arm muscles the next day too. On the second or third touch and go, I misjudged the round-out and bounced with reasonable force (but not a hard landing). I immediately applied power and announced a go-around. The instructor said "well that was interesting" and also commented that while it was a good decision, the landing could have been rescued. In my mind, everything I had read about such situations led me to believe the second touch down was likely to be ugly, particularly with my skill level at that stage of my training. Also, my instructor had often said "nobody laughs at someone for going-around, but only when they don't and damage the aircraft." Probably a little tongue in cheek, but it gets the message across. If you aren't comfortable with your approach, go-around.

The idea of going round, if the landing is looking bad is good advice. Some go-round situations are extremely critical and require a good level of positive pilotage. In the early stages of flight training a student might not get much emphasis on executing the go round as we all like to concentrate on greasy landings, as if that is what it is all about. Coping with anything that can happen is needed at some stage, but anything can happen at any stage, even the first solo, which should not be rushed. Nev

I must be an even worse bowerbird than you David, as I laid hands on ASG 100 printed in 1977!

Macarthur Job was thethen Editor, and this bloke has probably never received adequate recognition for his work in aviation safety. He wrote in the 100th edition: "Some things never change and the hazards that plagued helmetted and goggled occupants of the open cockpits of yesteryear are the same that catch out those who fly in the snug comfort in today's sleek aeronautical machinery. Those hazards moreover, have no respect for persons!"

In the days pre internet and social media the "Crash Comic" was the prime medium for promoting safety within aviation. Every aero club has copies laying about, and Instructors made frequent references to articles featured in the editions.

Within ASG 100 here is "Cautionary Tales", an aviation message expressed in verse, with some classic artwork.

Featured was Grasping Gilbert:

Gilbert's plane is fairly bulging,

In overloading He's indulging.

"She'll handle it," he's heard to boast,

-whenever he is overgrossed.

Another kilo he tries to squeeze,

But beyond the strip - a clump of trees!

'Twas density altitude Gil forgot,

-and that was how he copped the lot!

And Fearless Fred:

VALE POOR FRED - an aspiring flyer,

A shame he wasn't flying higher!

VALE POOR FRED - he was lost for ages,

And now he's in the Digest pages!

• Like 1

Ah Fred, I remember now, haven't heard of him for ages. Carruthers is still around.

#100 was apparently Mac's last issue. He has an OAM and other awards; he still writes magazine articles including for Flight Safety Australia. What would you consider adequate recognition?