Guest Gyro Jeff

Guest Gyro Jeff

Hi,

Only discovered this site last weekend and joined up immediately.

Been flying Gyrocopters for seventeen years and am an Instructor and Builder of Gyro's, would like to mix and socialize with other Aviators.

Guest Decca

Hi Jeff. Welcome to this forum; you'll love it here. I don't have any wings yet - can afford to brush up on a bit of theory first! You've had lots of experience, prob even seen a fair bit of gyrocopter development! There's a few flying out of Ballarat, don't know the owners yet and don't know if they're forum members. If they're not, I'll pass on that you're looking for like company.

Regards, Decca.

Guest Gyro Jeff

Hi Decca!

Yes I do know some of the Gyronaut's from Ballarat, but as I am in NSW Sydney Region I would rarely get a chance to meet them.

Cheers.

G'day Jeff, welcome to the forum. When I started to really be serious about learning to fly, gyros seemed to be the cheapest road and I got involved through the SA Rotary Club (think that's the correct name). I was very impressed with the smoothness of flight compared to the Cessna's that I had been pax in for a time. Unfortunately, the club did little other than paddock bashing and I wanted to go farther afield, hense the Jabiru.

Obviously, your machine (avitar) can go x/c, but probably cost damm near as much as a fixed wing, if not more. How ever, each to his/her own. We will all be interested in some of your tales and adventures.

Once again, welcome, and safe flying. Doug

Hi Jeff and welcome. I've heard a lot of war stories about flying in and out of the rylstone strip, but they are from fixed wing people. I guess your gyro doesn't worry too much about rotor from the hills? I'll soon have a jabiru and I was thinking I'd give the rylstone strip a miss. What's your advice?

Cazza

Guest Gyro Jeff

Hi Cazza, Deskpilot and Chris,

Thanks for your warm welcome Fella's.

To Deskpilot, the SA Rotor Club still operates from a private Farmers property at Lameroo and have quite an active membership, Kevin who is the owner of the property also flies Light Aircraft and is a Gyro Instructor, send me a private E-mail and I can give you his Phone Number if you wish.

The Tandem two seat Gyros' I build ready to fly with a two stroke 102hp engine like the pic on my avatar, start at a sale price of AUS$45,000.00

Cazza, we frequent Rylstone usually once a month and make a four day weekend out of it, the area is really beautiful to fly in and around. As far as Rotors of the hills we don't seem to be affected by them if there are any, many other Aviators such as Hang Gliders, Microlights, Aerochutes as well as Gyros use the Aerodrome which has a Club House facility with a Kitchen, Toilets and Showers, a 5 or 10 dollar usage fee applies depending on whether you camp the night or just visit for a day.

Many Sport and Light Aircraft fly in for a visit. I can let you know when we will be going to Rylstone again.

Guest Fred Bear

G'day Jeff. Welcome to the forums.I have always wanted to check out the Rylstone strip and can maybe make a day out of it next time you are going.It's not far from my parents property.I know someone with an Aerochute that would be interested too.Not sure, but I think your name came up somehow at the Hawkesbury Powered Parachute Centre at the weekend.I am sure they said "The fella lives at Kurrajong and flies from Rylstone".Might be you??Not sure if you have flown in/around Freemans Reach.

Guest David C

Welcome Jeff .. Good to have on board . I hope you find the site to be helpful and harmonious as the rest of us do 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif . Did you ever frequent the Gyro strip at Erskine Park in Sydneys outer West ?? . I visited once a few years ago with my uncle who is interested in Gyros . He is a member of this forum , Just Fred is his username . I know he has visited the strip at Rylstone too , and is also keen on building a gyro one day .. Once again great to have you on site .;)

I did my Trike license training at Rylstone and believe it or not have not been back there since completing my training and endorsements 5 years ago this month.

It does look very likely that I'll have the chance to fly my trike there again in a few weeks when the Megafauna goes to Mudgee with an optional lay-day versus fly to Rylstone day.

I'll take the second option for old times sake.

Rgds,

Glen

Guest Gyro Jeff

Hi David C and eastmeg2 thanks for your welcome.

David, I used to be the President of the Sydney Gyro Club at Erskine Park from 1994 to 2001 and saw the club steadily grow, although we were the best kept secret in the Sydney region until we were asked to move on in the name of progress, the land became too valuable so the owners CSR Readymix decided to develop the land for commercial use and build Factories on the Property, so after months of fruitless searching for a new venue in the Sydney Region we decided our only option was to move out of the Sydney basin and Rylstone was chosen as the most suitable.

We used to fly occasionally from Erskine to the Oaks and some flyers from the Oaks would fly in to Erskine for a visit. If my recollections are correct Carl Holden was the active CFI at the Oaks.

Eastmeg2

We spent two days flying at Goulburn Aerodrome on the long weekend in January, to our surprise the place was deserted, it was very windy but the flying was good, hope to do it again sometime.