Tachometer for Jabiru 2200 engine

As I am about to start mounting things in the instrument panel, I need to source a tacho (either new or good used) to suit a Jabiru 2200. Can anyone advise me of the type of tacho I would need and also a supply source. I know there are such differences as 1 pulse versus 2 pulse and also different RPM ranges. Any info will be most appreciated. John.

Virago,

I just bought one from Jabiru for a customer. I think it cost just on $300 with a sender unit. I'll check out the invoice tomorrow and tell you the correct price.

OME

I bought a tacho from Jabiru, but it didn't work properly, so I used a Tiny Tach. Much cheaper, my 2009/10 Aircraft Spruce catalogue lists them at $42.5 and they are called Universal Digital Tach/hourmeter. You can see their current range at www.aircraftspruce.com.

• 1 month later...

Consider going with a Tacho from a diesel truck. The good points are, either a 0-4000 or 0-5000 range so you get a full sweep of the gauge, plentiful supply of them, so the costs are lower & the big plus is, as the Jab alternator is ruuning on the crankshaft, there are no calculations to carry out, just connect the sensor wire to the voltage regulator input, set the dip swithes on the tacho to the number of poles on the armature, connect power in & earth, and your in business

• Informative 1

www.aircraftspruce.com[/url].

The tiny tach idea is a good one. However if you really want an aircraft style tach then the VDO is a good one. You can get them from Jabiru and they set them up for you. Well you need to ask them too as mine was not setup. It is not hard to program them, but it is better if it is done for you. A few people I have spoken too when I could not get mine to work said that thier tach was rubbish and did not work... They simply expected them to work when they connected them. They had not been programmed by Jabiru. Nothing wrong at all.

I hope this helps, and this may not have been the problem Yenn had

Cheers

Mardy

Since most RA owners seem to last until a replacement engine needs to be purchased, this item is of key importance.

You'll sometimes read about the markedly different cruise speeds of the same 19 reg aircraft.

A tacho will do this for you every time.

GIGO is the Silicon Valley Nerd term for Garbage In Garbage Out in computer calculations

RICCR is the acronym for Revs Into Crap, Crap RPM

For $50.00 you'll certainly be able to see a needles sweeping around the dial and the more you open the throttle the further it will go round, and will remain steady at a fixed throttle position, but that's about as close as you'll get to reality.

An engine running consistently above its cruise rpm is going to have a shorter life and a replacement will be around $20,000 so why wouldn't you get a tacho which can be calibrated accurately to show the rpm of the engine?