Microlight insurance

Mark,

I attended our monthly meeting lastnight for the southern microlight club here in Victoria and trike insurance came up in the meeting, I think they were saying we might be able to get full cover (fire, theft, towing including flying) for around 1500 through QBE. (don't hold me to that)

Far cry from when I tried chasing it up about 4 years ago and one insurance mob wanted 4500 which didn't include flying component.

I will know more at a later stage and let you know when I know.

Cheers

Alf

I think it worthwhile to make mention of the responses (or lack of) that I have received from both email and phone...

I'll name and shame to avoid others wasting their time in the next message once I've compiled the facts!

Yep, great the old insurance companies, once they have your hard earned they don't want to part with it.

One bloke i was trying to get insurance with told me they didn't have flight coverage for trikes, i told him I don't need flight coverage as it's flying perfectly right up till it meets the ground, I want crash coverage.

He didn't see the funny side to it.

Alf

All, ive done the ring around and the end result is NO ONE in Australia will insure microlights

There are 5 insurance companies:

- Alliance

- QBE

- Asset

- Chartis (AIG)

- Catlin

I also contacted a couple of brokers whom confirmed no way to get insurance.

The only broker who agreed to look further afield (London) was AON (Julia Cliffton) 02 9253 7728, who was polite and a pleasure to talk to!

Broker, CIA (Civil Aviation Insurance), Aaron 1300620520, was also helpful in advising that they can no longer get insurance for gyro copters because there is not enough take up on insurance as two total loss claims wiped out any premiums collected.

Other brokers contacted (who have not responded since emails sent 27/05/2012 are:

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

So, in conclusion, unless Julia can come up with something, we are stuffed!

Regards

Mark

• Helpful 1

Mark you should do what I have just done. Put the trike up for sale and purchase a Jabiru. No one is going to steal a Jabiru! they might set it on fire, so I still ended up insuring it 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

• Like 1

Wash your mouth out young man:bash:

Bill,

Don't know why Herm got fire insurance for the Jab, the fire in them doesn't stay alight long enough for them to catch fire:ban me please:

• Like 1

Mark,

Might be worth following up OAMPS Aviation - they used to insure trikes - had my first trike insured with them (theft/fire/driving) about 7 or 8 years ago ... paid the premium for a couple of years, then decided it was a bit of a waste of money - so stopped ... of course ... about 18 months later trike gets knocked off out of the driveway, never to be seen again.

086_gaah.gif.afc514336d60d84c9b8d73d18c3ca02d.gif

The OAMPS website still specifically mentions sports and experimental aircraft, ultralights and hang gliders .. but doesnt say anything about trikes

David

Mark you should do what I have just done. Put the trike up for sale and purchase a Jabiru. No one is going to steal a Jabiru! they might set it on fire, so I still ended up insuring it 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

I haven't even had a go in the front seat of mine yet....

Maybe if I attach it to a jab, then I can get insurance...

• Haha 1

I have my 912 insured for fire, theft, hangar damage & hull damage (i.e. flight risk) with the guy whose details I have copied below. It's insured for about $73,000 all-up, and costs me about $2,800 per year. He's a pleasure to deal with, too. Hope this helps.

Matt Tomlinson

Wollongong Airport

Wayne G. Cottier ANZIIF (Assoc) CIP

AVIATION RISK AND INSURANCE (ARI) Authorised Representative of:

Risk Management & Insurance Broking Oceania Insurance Group Pty Ltd

ARN: 398045 ABN: 37743649662 ACN: 14577110 ABN: 26145771106

M: +61(0)414 556 426 AFS Licence No: 391585

E: [email protected] W: www.oceaniainsurance.com

W: www.aviationriskinsurance.com A: Lvl 14, 15 Castlereagh Street

A: PO Box 687 Coorparoo QLD 4151 Sydney NSW 2000

• Like 1

I have my 912 insured for fire, theft, hangar damage & hull damage (i.e. flight risk) with the guy whose details I have copied below. It's insured for about $73,000 all-up, and costs me about $2,800 per year. He's a pleasure to deal with, too. Hope this helps.Matt Tomlinson

Wollongong Airport

Wayne G. Cottier ANZIIF (Assoc) CIP

AVIATION RISK AND INSURANCE (ARI) Authorised Representative of:

Risk Management & Insurance Broking Oceania Insurance Group Pty Ltd

ARN: 398045 ABN: 37743649662 ACN: 14577110 ABN: 26145771106

M: +61(0)414 556 426 AFS Licence No: 391585

E: [email protected] W: www.oceaniainsurance.com

W: www.aviationriskinsurance.com A: Lvl 14, 15 Castlereagh Street

A: PO Box 687 Coorparoo QLD 4151 Sydney NSW 2000

Thanks Matt,

Very helpful - Ill call him tomorrow.

Mark