Savannah cs prop

Hongie

As per title, has anyone had any experience with a cs prop on a rotax 912uls in a savannah? If so what are your thoughts and observations. What gains are to be had ie. increased climb, cruise, reduced takeoff roll?

• Like 1

As per title, has anyone had any experience with a cs prop on a rotax 912uls in a savannah? If so what are your thoughts and observations. What gains are to be had ie. increased climb, cruise, reduced takeoff roll?

Good question Hongie (I don't have the answer, sorry) but I was wondering the same especially when I have heard that Airmaster Propellors list an ICP Savannah as having one. The model shown looks like an XL: http://www.airmasterpropellers.com/applications/agenttype/view/propertyid/18

I'll also be watching this thread for responses. 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Forum member "Gundy" has this prop on his Savanagh, if he does not chime in here it might be worth sending a pm. The aircraft with this prop fitted is the 3rd Savanagh that Gundy has built so he should be able to give you some comparisons.

Forum member "Gundy" has this prop on his Savanagh, if he does not chime in here it might be worth sending a pm. The aircraft with this prop fitted is the 3rd Savanagh that Gundy has built so he should be able to give you some comparisons.

Hopefully, Gundy will give us an update on the success (or otherwise) of the the Air Master prop soon. :rotary:

Guest Maj Millard

The Airmaster CS prop is a nice unit. Internally it is very similiar to the Italian Indavario, which was a manual hydrylicaly operated, inflight-adjustable prop. They both have very similiar hub bearings, and internal pitch-changing mechanisms. They can now be ordered with either Warp-Drive, Senesenich or Bolly blades in different diameters.

The Airmaster is electrically computer controlled, with the controlling unit mounted on the dash. They are constant-speed, can also be manually adjusted in flight, and have full feather capability. Latest versions can also be fully reversable (beta mode), as fitted to some new amphib types for additional flexability on the water for docking, backing out etc.

The panel selector has the following selections for various prop functions. Take off...climb...cruise.... and manual. With manual selected, you can operate a toggle type switch to manually fine-tune the prop in flight. A series of different coloured Led lights tell you what the prop is doing IE: flashing amber- prop is currently changing blade adjustment (in CS mode.) Green-all is cool, and prop has selected best pitch. Various other indications indicate unit is self testing, or has failed. The blades auto feather if the engine loses power, or is switched of. This can confuse people on the ground as turbine engines generally also do the same !!.....

If the electronic controller sufferers a failure anytime, the prop stays where it was, when the failure occured.

Blades are Warp-drive manufactured, controller is German made and very good, as is the quality of the alum hub and internals. Expensive, but they work well, and do take your aircraft into another performance bracket...The Airmaster is a low maintenance item, and self-tests electronically upon power switch-on ..............................................................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

• 3 months later...
The Airmaster CS prop is a nice unit. Internally it is very similiar to the Italian Indavario, which was a manual hydrylicaly operated, inflight-adjustable prop. They both have very similiar hub bearings, and internal pitch-changing mechanisms. They can now be ordered with either Warp-Drive, Senesenich or Bolly blades in different diameters.The Airmaster is electrically computer controlled, with the controlling unit mounted on the dash. They are constant-speed, can also be manually adjusted in flight, and have full feather capability. Latest versions can also be fully reversable (beta mode), as fitted to some new amphib types for additional flexability on the water for docking, backing out etc.

The panel selector has the following selections for various prop functions. Take off...climb...cruise.... and manual. With manual selected, you can operate a toggle type switch to manually fine-tune the prop in flight. A series of different coloured Led lights tell you what the prop is doing IE: flashing amber- prop is currently changing blade adjustment (in CS mode.) Green-all is cool, and prop has selected best pitch. Various other indications indicate unit is self testing, or has failed. The blades auto feather if the engine loses power, or is switched of. This can confuse people on the ground as turbine engines generally also do the same !!.....

If the electronic controller sufferers a failure anytime, the prop stays where it was, when the failure occured.

Blades are Warp-drive manufactured, controller is German made and very good, as is the quality of the alum hub and internals. Expensive, but they work well, and do take your aircraft into another performance bracket...The Airmaster is a low maintenance item, and self-tests electronically upon power switch-on ..............................................................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Useful info, Maj. I understand that these AirMaster units are manufactured/assembled in New Zealand.

I love it, but it's a lot of money. Only 6kg heavier than a ground adjustable Bolly or Warp Drive. Marginal difference in take off ground roll but climbs better and cruises better at height. If you want to come over for a flight. Gundy

I love it, but it's a lot of money. Only 6kg heavier than a ground adjustable Bolly or Warp Drive. Marginal difference in take off ground roll but climbs better and cruises better at height. If you want to come over for a flight. Gundy

Thanks for the info Gundy.

Does the Airmaster help with the fuel economy enough to overcome the 6kg weight penalty?

Another question, what kind of autopilot set-up are you using?

I'm a long way from where you are in the Happy Rock region but my wife, daughter and I come to QLD every year for a holiday so I may take you up on the offer one day.