Coroners report of an accident in 2005

I stumbled across this full coroners report. I am sorry if any of you knew this guy, but I thought the report would help those looking for information relating to purchasing a used microlight, and the mistakes or oversights that can happen along the way. hopefully it can prevent a future such situation.

There is a lot to learn from this report. As a newbie, certainly opening my eyes....

http://www.courts.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/86786/cif-scholl-ph-20090127.pdf

The Coroners report on Sting accident back in 2009 highlights the dangers of buying a used aircraft - even if it's a demonstrator from one of the biggest importers of RA-Aus aircraft in Australia! Absolutely appalling the way in which the distributor handled the records and their attitude towards the coronial process.

http://www.recreationalflying.com/attachments/smith-and-guthrie-finding-final-doc.7159/

The upcoming ATSB report into the Old Bar accident and will provide interesting reading also. Factory built aircraft might be no better!

If you want an RA-Aus aircraft you can rely on it seems the only way is to build it yourself (if you have the skill and patience - i certainly don't...).

Buyer beware - maybe human factors should extend to buying an aircraft - how to spot a lemon and a dodgy used car salesman, how to organise an independent inspection, legal responsibilities of buying and selling.

Beyond bringing aviation into disrepute, what are the possible legal ramifications for some of the cowboys, and also organisations overseeing aviation, from family members etc?

Two good books on buying aircraft are:

Airplane Ownership by Ronald J. Wanttaja

Purchasing & Evaluating Airplanes by Brian M. Jacobson

Both strongly recommend a pre-purchase inspection by a qualified mechanic (LAME, L2 etc)

While expensive, because you may be up for travel expenses, these people haven't fallen in love with the aircraft, and have developed skills at listing and costing defects.

pj, "Buyer beware" effectively disappeared many years ago. The seller can find himself in all sorts of trouble failing to disclose a pre-existing fault, from consumer legislation to public liability legislation. He can even find himself in prison if someone is hurt or killed. He also pays out even if he was not aware of the fault at the time he sold the aircraft.

Unfortunately greed is often a stronger motivator than behaving responsibly and ethically - enough for some to gamble on someone else's life.

I'll be very careful about purchasing a used microlight after reading this. My cfi said that he will dismantle and personally inspect his students potential purchases. What a guy!

• Like 1