Seeking Training in RA

Guest jc12

Guest jc12

I am totally new in this scene and my questions below would most probably been asked a couple million times... but please humour me and hopefully guide me along.

1. With my limited knowledge, I seem to be more inclined towards a yoke in-between legs and center console throttle layout (solely because it looks good (IMHO) and it seems easier to go GA without having a steep learning curve in terms of controls layout... does this make sense?). What are my options in terms of LSA aircraft that I can train in with such layout?

2. I live in Brisbane... what are my options in terms of flight schools having the aircrafts that you would be recommending me?

Apreciate any comments... always better to know more before jumping into the pit.

Cheers!

Guest pelorus32

Hi JC & welcome,

The bottom line for me is that your first decision is really between 3 axis (like a "normal" GA aircraft) or weightshift.

If you want to go 3 axis then they're all much of a muchness as far as controls are concerned. Just where the controls are is less different than you might think in practice.

More to the point is what is a good training aircraft and where might you go around Brisbane.

Look here for FTF in Queensland:

http://www.raa.asn.au/docs/ops/ftf_list.pdf

And here for a listing with some links.

http://www.raa.asn.au/schools/index.html

Just as important as the aircraft is the instructor. Go for a Trial Instructional Flight and work out whether you want to sit next to that person in a confined space for maybe 20-30 hours and whether you reckon you will learn from that person.

Let us know how you go.

The Queenslanders will chime in here also with more detailed suggestions.

Kind regards

Mike

Guest aaronb

jc12,

if you looking for the yoke between the legs and the throttle on the panel layout then you want to look out for a Gazelle or a Texan they come to mind for that kind of layout, there are similar layout in the Jabiru J160, you fly with your right hand and the throttle is on the panel to the left, these planes all have different characteristics fast, slow, flaps, no flaps and like any school they will come at a different price,

as for schools im not sure where exactly you live and how far you are from airports, the best thing is to go and see the school talk to the people and sit in as many different planes as you can get your butt into and see what you like.

Hi JC

Have a read of the Training page here on the website for some tips on how to select an aircraft, a school and an instructor.

There are not many aircraft that have a Yoke that are registered in the RAAus and then this is even narrowed down even further when it comes to training aircraft.

More and more larger GA aircraft have started looking at joysticks whether they be in the centre between your legs, to the right or to the left. Airbus in the heavies are a joystick.

I personally would not worry about whether an aircraft has a Yoke or a Stick at this point as if you do end up wanting to go to GA like all aircraft there will always be familiarisation with the aircraft itself and its controls anyway - as I said in just my opinion let's concentrate on getting you flying with an instructor that suits you, a school that you feel comfortable in and an aircraft that you enjoy flying first.

Hope this helps!

Oh, and by the way questions are always asked a million times and we always enjoy answering them a million and one times ;)

• Like 1

Guest Crezzi

If you live in the city, the closest places are at Caboolture -

http://www.caboolturerecreationalaviation.com.au/ (Gazelle & Jabiru)

http://www.prosky.info/ (Tecnam)

and Recliffe -

http://www.freeflying.com.au/ (Texan)

Mike's comments are spot-on, you are close enough to go along to each facility, meet the instructor(s), see the aircraft and have a TIF before you decide who gets your hard-earned cash.

If none of those schools suit, there are plenty more a little further from the city.

Cheers

John

Position of Controls.

I agree with pelorus essentially, about the position of the controls. You will get used to it quite quickly, and only on the initial stage will it bother you when you change from one to the other. All aircraft have differences, try to think about what will happen when you move something.

What I am trying to say here is maintain maximum adaptability & awareness, Don't rely on numbers or familiarity too much. Personally ,I like the joystick in my right hand & the engine controls on the left, (traditional),but this set-up makes it hard to get in & out. You get more money when you have 4 throttles in your right hand, So, as I say, be adaptable. Nev

Guest jc12

Geez... you guys are excellent! ;) I'm glad I'm in here! Great and prompt advice! I'm convinced that controls layout is not of utmost importance at this stage.

Pelorus32... you're right... you've got to be with the right person in a confine space for that many hours. For a start, I'm decided on 3-axis (weight shift might be the next adventure).

Crezzi... you're a mind reader... haha! I've selected exactly the same 3 schools that you've mentioned... solely for geographical convenience. I've contacted one of them, and they've came back to me with TIF and training rates. I'm just not sure if those are acceptable rates and not a rip off. I assume rates would be a sensitive topic to be discuss openly in here? I'll appreciate if anyone can offer 1st hand experience with these 3 schools (i.e. service, instruction and rates).

I'm thinking along the line of a high wing setup aircraft (low wing setup might block the scenery immediate to my sides... and photo taking might be tough... haha)... Texan looks sleek and sexy (especially retractable undercarriage), but it's a low wing setup... not for me at this point in time.

Anyway, I'm hoping to get my butt into one this weekend. I'll post again once I've had my 1st TIF!

Once again... thanks for making me feel welcome and appreciate all advice from everyone! Keep them coming!

Cheers!

Guest Crezzi

I would be quite suprised if there was a significant difference in rates between the schools you are considering. In any case your decision should be based at least as much on the other factors mentioned in this thread and the forum's training page. Although cost is important its worth remembering that "quality instruction is a bargain at any price" !

I've done type conversions with both the schools at Caboolture & I don't think you need worry about the quality or professionalism of either. That said, the schools, instructors & aircraft are quite different. As I have a connection with one school I'm not going to express my personal preference which might be different to yours anyway ! Talk to them both & make your own mind up.

Enjoy your flight :-)

Cheers

John

PS when you visit the airfield, if the doors of Hanger 10 are open feel free to drop by & say hello.

Guest Sabre

Hi jc12 and welcome to a great forum and a great bunch of guys....

I too am from Brisbane and learning to fly. I went through the same thing you are going through and I ended up settling for Australian Pacific Aviation flying out of Hecks Field Jacobs. I'm learning on the coolest plane called a Drifter.

Keep in touch and let us know how you go...all best and follow that dream

Cheers

Guest jc12

I've had a chance to go on a Jabiru for my TIF last Sun. Oh my... what a rush! It was not quite what I've expected... the rudders being a lot more responsive than I anticipated. It was a great feeling... so good that I have decided to skip having another TIF on a Gazelle... haha. That's it... Jabiru here I come! :big_grin:

• 1 month later...
Guest Timbo

Gidday bud,

Ive flown at most of the schools around brisbane and find myself extremely privleged to have the freedoms to do so, this is still the lucky country and we have an awesome organisation that has provided us with these opportunities, I started in Gazelles at caloundra having that endorsement allowed me to hire them (at that time) from Redcliffe, Caboolture and caloundra ( and probably other airfields I didnt know about) Ive always lived on the south side so It wasnt allways quick trip to where I was flying. Having said that I felt I needed a change so I tried the Piper Cub (warbird) and that aircraft really taught me to fly, unbelieveable experiance, then I tried the jabiru, fast but not my cup of tea, Im now flying gazelles again because I am a 3rd year apprentice with three kids so flying is lay-by experience but im still able to do it. God bless this country. Its Freedoms, Its wonderfull people/pilots, and good luck with your training. hope to run into you on the field