When you studied for the pilot certificate...

What study books and materials did you use for reference? That is... To successfully pass your exams?

I have read a microlight theory book i found online from the usa, and the microlight handbook 7th edition by Brian Cosgrove. But i feel like they are not sufficient. I still have inadequate knowledge about preflight, pretakeoff, telephony and the list goes on.

Really appreciate your help here, thanks, Stewart.

Hi Stewart. You have two good books to start with. I would suggest getting a ZGA radio operators handbook. Should be able to purchase them online. Your instructor should be able to supply you books or advise you of what and where you can get them. You instructor is your best guide for your current location and regulations.

Regards

Mardy

Hi Crayonbox,

Just completed my Pilot Certificate and cross-country in the past couple of months. I found the books from the Dyson-Holland series were most relevant to the exams however book I keep returning to is the Jim Davis PPL.

Throughout my journey I tried a few different publications and found what worked best for me. When I spoke to others they all had different favourites, however everyone who I contacted that had Jim Davis all loved it.

In the end it is what will work best for you.

Good Luck

Puddles

Thanks for all the answers so far. I will look into them.

I have found it difficult to take onboard, understand and retain what I am being told 'while' flight training during the lesson. I would rather learn my theory on the ground, as I am sure is best and we all do.

Also wanted to ask, are there any online Microlight (trike)/ Ultralight / Pilot Certificate practice exams? I found these to look as good as anything... http://www.microlightforum.com/showthread.php?2684-Mock-Exams

Hi Crayonbox,Just completed my Pilot Certificate and cross-country in the past couple of months. I found the books from the Dyson-Holland series were most relevant to the exams however book I keep returning to is the Jim Davis PPL.

Throughout my journey I tried a few different publications and found what worked best for me. When I spoke to others they all had different favourites, however everyone who I contacted that had Jim Davis all loved it.

In the end it is what will work best for you.

Good Luck

Puddles

My favorite book is Jim Davis PPL.

Weight shift control aircraft flying handbook from FAA- very good and free

Thanks for all the answers so far. I will look into them.I have found it difficult to take onboard, understand and retain what I am being told 'while' flight training during the lesson.

This is a Human Factor which affects us all in the early stages of our flying. It is (or should be) known to all flying instructors. Yet oddly, some instructors can't help themselves and seem to feel the need to fill all available instructor/student contact time with information flow. I found this with some of my instructors. It was obvious that they were very skilled/experienced pilots but they could not sit quietly while my mind processed all the information required to to keep the aircraft under control. Their incessant chatter only served to impede my flying progress whilst not achieving any advancement in my theory knowledge.

IMO, If an instructor does this to you, ask him/her politely to give you some quiet time in the cockpit to concentrate. If you are not game to ask your instructor this and/or think it might not be recieved well, it's time to find another instructor.

While I'm on my soapbox, I'll paraphrase from the guy who did get me in the air: A lot of people hit a point in their flying training where they think "this is not working, I can't do this" and give up. Anyone can learn to fly with persistance and discipline. For some it takes longer than others. There is no shame in this. If you keep at it, you will get there. When you hit that wall, talk to your instructor about it, don't just give up.

I've blathered on about this because I wanted to fly all my life but never achieved it until the age of 58. This was because I was put off by a sequence of pretty ordinary instructors. That was long ago and a lot of improvements to instructing have been made since then (like Human Factors).

Good luck with your training.

• Like 2

This is a Human Factor which affects us all in the early stages of our flying. It is (or should be) known to all flying instructors. Yet oddly, some instructors can't help themselves and seem to feel the need to fill all available instructor/student contact time with information flow. I found this with some of my instructors. It was obvious that they were very skilled/experienced pilots but they could not sit quietly while my mind processed all the information required to to keep the aircraft under control. Their incessant chatter only served to impede my flying progress whilst not achieving any advancement in my theory knowledge.IMO, If an instructor does this to you, ask him/her politely to give you some quiet time in the cockpit to concentrate. If you are not game to ask your instructor this and/or think it might not be recieved well, it's time to find another instructor.

While I'm on my soapbox, I'll paraphrase from the guy who did get me in the air: A lot of people hit a point in their flying training where they think "this is not working, I can't do this" and give up. Anyone can learn to fly with persistance and discipline. For some it takes longer than others. There is no shame in this. If you keep at it, you will get there. When you hit that wall, talk to your instructor about it, don't just give up.

I've blathered on about this because I wanted to fly all my life but never achieved it until the age of 58. This was because I was put off by a sequence of pretty ordinary instructors. That was long ago and a lot of improvements to instructing have been made since then (like Human Factors).

Good luck with your training.

Thank you Scott for your encouragement. Not to late for me yet then hey ;)

My instructor doesn't chatchatchat. He just occasionally tries to help by explaining whats happening as we fly, it's just that as expected I can not take onboard and process while flying. But it gives me food for thought later when I can relax and think it over.

My experience on Tuesday morning with 10kts was almost one to make me think 'I can't do this' and it's too hard. But my instructor knew I had had enough and we returned to land before it became way too much for me. Small steps! This is and will be quite a journey, and I enjoy a challenge!

I don't believe that you can take much chatter when you are in the air, and flying the plane. The pre-flight briefing of a sequence , plus your own preparation should make most explanation in the air unnecessary. Too easy to be overloaded. Talking someone through a landing flare or a stall entry with prompts is a different matter. Nev

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...