PC-12 take off on short runway

I was having a gander at the GA part of Coffs Airport yesterday with my boys (1 and 3 years old, so they love planes!), and had to stop and drool over a PC-12 on the GA apron. The pilot taxied to the short runway (one-zero, 849m), backed up as far as he could, held the brakes on for as long as he could, and then took what seemed to be the whole runway to get airborne. The wind was not strong.

Coffs has a 2000m long, 45m wide grooved main runway. Why would you take a chance on the short runway when the long one is available? Any thoughts on why you would make such a decision? It's only an extra 1 min taxi, and there was very little traffic, being a Sunday afternoon.

• Like 1

Guest Howard Hughes

I ask if you can do it, why would you not? It helps to keep your skills up!

I often take the Kingair into 2-8 and out of 1-0 at Coffs, sadly the B350 is unable!051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

Guest Andys@coffs

Is it runway length thats the limitation or western terain? I would have thought you could land 28 with a few ft to spare providing you put the dunlops on the deck at or before the piano keys. (No pressure now!!) 075_amazon.gif.0882093f126abdba732f442cccc04585.gif

A twin is either legal or it isn't. Could be based on accelerate -stop or single engine climb performance.

A single is a bit different . It's engine out performance is worse.( ha ha) but you could use the runway infront of you to advantage so why not do it. You make your own luck. Nev

From memory a PC12 only needs about 500mtrs ground roll for take off? I know the ones that come into the farm strip are off the ground at about the same place a loaded 172 is.

The pilot wasn't trying! Port Pirie has Flying Doctor PC12's coming and going most days, and they certainly don't need anywhere near this distance. Runway 03/21 is 672 metres long, crossing the main bitumen 08/26 approx 300 metres from the threshold of 21. I have seen them take off on 21 and be airborne by the bitumen, and land on 21 and be taxi-ing for the approx 120 degree turn onto the taxiway to the parking apron which joins both runways. Today I watched a take-off on 26, with 20+ knots crosswind from the North, and it was well airborne by the western taxiway, approx 400 metres.

Guest Howard Hughes
Is it runway length thats the limitation or western terain? I would have thought you could land 28 with a few ft to spare providing you put the dunlops on the deck at or before the piano keys. (No pressure now!!) 075_amazon.gif.0882093f126abdba732f442cccc04585.gif

10/28 is too narrow for the B350 and the balance field requirement kills it for take off anyway.

Shame, it's always good fun in the B200! 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

The only problem and dangar for using the short runway is an EFATO. If he used the long runway he could have landed straight ahead on the remaining runway until he was high enough for a turn back where as off the short runway he would be swimming until he is at about 700'. 849m is heaps for the PC12.