Big Thanks to.....

After many months (years?) of trying to get the radio in my J160 transmitting properly I finally followed the advice of Jim Tatlock from Austec Avionics and had him install an XCOM radio.

Transmission now getting a 10/10. Better than new.

Best news is that he hasnt even sent a bill...........yet

• Like 1

Yes it was a Microair.

Transmission was full of static and difficult to understand . Always recieved 10/10.

Seemed sensitive to low voltage (low RPM with strobes and transponder on). Was told that the combination of a composite airframe (poor grounding) and noisy electrical system was not tolerated by Microair (the radio was actually "broken").

I do hear a lot of Jabirus with bad radios.

The Xcom was installed with no changes to the elecrical system or antenna and it works 10/10 where the microair did not.

Blueline, My jabiru has microair radio that seems to work ok, but get static noise through the intercom while transponder is on .

This can be worked out by turning the intercom volume up and down with the transponder running.

Do you get static noise while transponder is on through the intercom in your Jabiru?

My jabiru has microair radio that seems to work ok, but get static noise through the intercom while transponder is on .

JWW.

Check your stub antenna. If you can turn it, then it is broken and you will need to replace it.

We had problems with our transponder, took it upto Microair and found the stub antenna was broken. Replaced it and now it works fantastic.

-Linda

I had a similar problem when transmitting, (other aircraft could not understand my garbled or warbley transmissions), called Micro air who identified the problem as a faulty chip, so I sent it away, had it back in about 10 days good as new as well as having the latest upgrades done. By the way, the repair cost only $170. Maybe you gave up too soon !!.

I guess I will never know for sure. I did have it repaired/checked etc about a year ago. Didnt seem to help in my case.

For me getting a long running problem fixed properly is great news. Maybe one more attempt at fixing the system would have worked but I was getting a bit tired of it not being right.

JWW.Check your stub antenna. If you can turn it, then it is broken and you will need to replace it.

We had problems with our transponder, took it upto Microair and found the stub antenna was broken. Replaced it and now it works fantastic.

-Linda

Thanks for the tip Linda, i will check antenna stub on Tuesday.

• 3 weeks later...