Where can we live and fly out Trike?

Where can we live and fly our Trike?

We are after moving to an area where we can live, and fly during the week in our Trike? Does anyone know of an area that would be suitable? We would miss the excellent scenery from here (Newcastle, NSW) being close to the beaches and are looking for somewhere with the same variety i.e. close to coastal as well as good inland flights. There must be somewhere out there that is not under restricted airspace but that have facilities for living near, or on an airstrip, where you can put up a hangar to keep your Trike as well as enough room to service it and others?

Guest ozzie

Evans Head, Byron Bay, Old Bar. All offer what you may be looking for. But why limit yourself to an airfield, they are restrictive and expensive. Finding a suitable property will give you the scenery without the dramas of a airfield. Take full advantage of what a trike has to offer.

Where is Eagleton?

regards Ozzie

Finding a suitable property is the problem which is why we may look further afield. We have been to Old Bar - nice to visit but don't think I'd want to live there. Eagleton is near Raymond Terrace, by the river.

Regards

Kev

Come over to the West side of the Divide...;) .. Plenty of room here... and no dramas with restrictions. Even Bathurst airport is OK with trikes flying in.. And Mudgee airport has a big ultralights presence.

Since I put my strip in, I've discovered 3 other private strips within 5NM of my place.

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks Chris

When we get our new Quik 912s (expected early July) we'll come and visit and have a look around the area.

Regards

Kev

Hi Kev,

With a machine like that (10.5m2 or 13.0 m2 wing?) you're going to need at least 400m for safe ops in the long run.

Mudjeep has just bought into the Tarago area between Goulburn & Canberra. There's plenty of land for sale at the moment in that area. Another area is just north of Braidwood which is even closer to the coast and Moruya airport is right on the coast and just a short hop from Braidwood, if you have an ASIC card.

We have flown our 2 stroke Airborne trikes from Tarago to Moruya and back a few times before the ASIC requirement came along.

Now we have the XT-912 I'm back to struggling with whether or not to get the damn ASIC card and to be honest my memory (I'm not 40 yet) is not good enough for how far back the questions go - 10 years.

Cheers,

Glen

hEY KEV your probably one of the chaps , that I wave to when yous fly over my place at stockton, I've a house that faces Nobbies and the harbour entrance, opposite the park. I see trikes often when I'm there. Flying down the beaches to the harbour and circling, then back north and return, back past the signa wreckage, and west from there. I DIDN'T know about eagleton, how do you get there? NExt time I'm down , I drop in KEV . REGARDS LANCE...

Lance

We have flown quite a few times around Nobby's and up the beach - it's a great place to fly. Unfortunately we fly out of a mate's private strip and are unable to have visitors there. The landowner has concerns about liability issues (a sign of the times). Where is Lightning Ridge? (we're looking for a place of our own to fly out of).

Regards

Kev

Well that is very unfortunate KEV ! I like to meet new fellow Aviators every chance I get, on my travels. Now KEV LIGHTNING RIDGE, is about 750km north west of Newcastle mate, and around 60kms short of the Queensland border. If you know were Dubbo is, keep going north another 4 hrs drive, ( Gilgandra, Gilarganbone,Coonamble,Walgett,Lightning Ridge). I have my hanger at the Airstrip, it"s one of about 15, its all very free and friendly, open airspace. We out number the GA machines 3 to 1. I have 4 trikes in my hanger alone, not counting the other Ultralights of various breeds in the other hangers, And we have the odd hanger vacant still. You can camp at the airstrip, or if you have a hanger you can live threr , as some do. Anyway Kev all the best on your hunt, but theres no beaches mate, the best is Lake Coocaran, only filled after a floods up north, sorry!! Regards Lance.......