Gazelle's in flying schools?

Hi All

After a very long time away I am hoping to return to flying next year if the planets align, and as I have a couple of hundred Gazelle hours I am hoping to find some school in SE Qld still using them as trainers. If anyone could volunteer a few names or numbers I would appreciate it. Thanks!

I would skip looking for a school with a gazelle and fly something else.Gazelles are still around in limited numbers (as trainers). Though I actually cant think of a school around here that still uses them for training any more.

I posted something along the same lines and It isn't there , but time has marched on with Gazelles. They are easy to fly but have a limited spar life, have some corrosion problems in the steel tubing, and there are much better planes around now. Private ones in the hands of understanding owners will go on for a long time. I wouldn't knock back a Jab 230 as an option. It flies like a plane and will teach you a lot. Nev

• Like 1

In Goulburn, the 2 flying schools train on gazelles, there are 3 of them and they are all very busy. Certified Props for the Gazelles are now available. I can't see the problem with learning in a Jab 230 but surely experience in all types of ultralights, including thrusters is desirable to make an all round pilot. I agree that Gazelles are a little long in the tooth, but some GA schools are training on aircraft that are over 30yrs old successfully.

Hi again

Thanks for the responses, I should have mentioned that I wanted to fly the Gazelle mainly because I have a soft spot for it and I know it is easy to fly, having both flown and instructed in them, just what I need after years away from flying. Thanks RKW for pointing out the one at Caboolture - looks like the nearest candidate so far. Robinsm I agree that one must try a number of aircraft and I should have mentioned that I had hundreds of hours GA in various aircraft from a previous life, just prefer to use a familiar aircraft for the first few hours while I knock over the conversion and settle in, I like the look of the new Jabs and that is a good candidate too.

Thanks!

Hi Skyfox99

Thanks for the recommendation for Caboolture, that should do the job nicely and not too far from home. I have also been reading a number of positive comments about the Jabiru and it sounds like it would be a great aircraft to transition onto once I have settled back in and feel confident again, there are also a lot more of them available even a school at Archerfield seems to be using one.

Thanks again for the comments everyone.

Thanks again Skyfox99, have had some contact from Caboolture, sounds like a great place, and the Cub is on the bucket list too.

I have started back on the theory over the weekend and don't seem to have forgotten too much over the years.