'Boost Oxygen' cannisters - anyone seen/used these?

boingk

Just saw this on eBay during a random search for aircraft equipment:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261100155694?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Apparently its 95% pure oxygen in a spraycan type of arrangement, complete with facial mask on the top. Its designed for quick 'hits' of oxygen for sportspeople, for businesspeople to prevent jet lag and for those at high altitudes.

Would you use this in your aircraft to ward off lethargy at the higher altitudes, of 5000 to 9500ft?

- boingk

The effect of a quick lungfull of O2 will be short lived. Your body will process it quickly. It isn't like you are topping up your internal O2 tank, it just gives a quick increase and its gone. Since it only takes a short while for the effects of a lack of O2 to come in, the problem will come back.

That is my understanding. The quedtion is probably best for a flught Dr and CASA as carrying one may lead people to spend too high too long.

But we should't have much of a priblem at our altitudes. What I fly doesn't perform well at 7500 and I never need to go up there anyway.

Personally I don't think it will be worth bothering with.

Guest Howard Hughes

Sounds like dangerous goods to me!

Might give you a 'boost' after a big night out, but probably not for flying.

Guest Andys@coffs

So my understanding is that a healthy non smoker should in general be perfectly Ok up to about 11,000ft .....seeing as we cant go that high its a solution in our space in search of a problem........

In my J230 Ive often travelled at 9500 while travelling between outer blackstump and woop woop in FWNSW and SA I can tell you that climb performance in th J is more problematic (not that it cant, just slow compared to surface level climb) than my breathing for those last 1-2k ft and even at 9500 you can get your butt kicked by Turbs without any issue at all....but visibility (smoke and haze allowing) is a whole heap better.....

I never found any problems at higher altitudes (relatively high anyway) so I'm not sure it would be needed. Visibility in NVFR is interesting around 8500 and above, as the rods in your eyes are very sensitive to lower levels of oxygen. As long as you don't smoke, it shouldn't ever be a problem.

Thats what I thought - and yeah I'm healthy with a max sustained heartrate off the charts and a resting pulse of 40bpm or less.

Still think its interesting and have ordered one, seeing as its only $20 shipped. Probably only get used after the proverbial night out but we'll see.

Cheers all - boingk

Guest Andys@coffs

might be fun to get the weber briquettes up to heat speed fast........otherwise .....<stumped>

Actually more seriously, HH is surely right, it would have to be classed as Dangerous cargo I would have thought ....the list of things that will burn in 100% oxygen is rather extensive.....and things that go can go bang in normal air are likely to go bang in 100% oxgen I would thave thought.....

still perhaps it all depends on the cubic volume of O2 in the can...... might be more advertising than O2 hey!!!

Andy

<edit> So wiki says that the tidal volume in the average human inhalation is 0.5L the can says good for 120-150 inhalations........so presumably the volume of O2 would be around 75L, of which only 95% is actually o2 according to the ebay add so say 72L. Normal air is 21% O2 so all in all equivalent to 360L of normal air which will take up 0.7m x 0.7m x 0.7m (roughly).....so maybe not DC at all...........

Other interesting facts unearthed looking at this.......We breath in air containing 21% O2 (normal) and breath out air containing 15% O2 so only extract about 5% of the available O2. If that remains the case with the Can (and I think it must because breathing is controlled by blood CO2 levels not O2 levels) then of the 72L in the can you only get to use a whole 3.5L in total.... suprising hey! (But im not 100% sure thats correct super saturated with O2... because I also found this one.....The World Record for oxygen-assisted breath holding underwater is 19 minutes and 21 seconds...........which led me to suggest F&^* that! Im not playing that game...... but in any event that sure suggests that your body must use up more of the O2.....thats available)