Paragliding in a Savannah

ianwells

What a great days flying.

Took off from home with the paraglider in the right seat of Cab Sav and headed for a local paragliding site. I did a bit of ground handling on the beach followed with a short but very sweet paraglider flight.

Loaded everything back in the Savannah and flew home again.

It doesn't get any better than that!!!!!

Note the savannah matches the paraglider (The CB 900 is burnt orange too)

7.jpg.7fc4f4d1bf4c7035ac2f7bdaadd7ff4b.jpg

2003400259_4(2).JPG.2d31198751e11a1cb5d6696e9913cca6.JPG

5.jpg.cfd8aa0e124360a4104bbb17a9181134.jpg

6.jpg.fdd31308add44718019c41b2f87f6f45.jpg

• Like 10

What a great days flying.Took off from home with the paraglider in the right seat of Cab Sav and headed for a local paragliding site. I did a bit of ground handling on the beach followed with a short but very sweet paraglider flight.

Loaded everything back in the Savannah and flew home again.

It doesn't get any better than that!!!!!

Note the savannah matches the paraglider (The CB 900 is burnt orange too)

[ /quote]

Ian, can you say what the location is??

Cheers

Guest Maj Millard

Great photos there Ian, obviously the Savvy was trailered in and placed on the beach for photograpic purposes only, just like those Jabs are that you see in those ads !!!?.........................................................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Great looking paraglider by the way Ian !...what about that powered one ?..........................................Maj....hurry_up.gif.177b070ad0fed9378055f023fbf484f7.gif

This is the same glider I use with the paramotor. I had a couple of attempts with the motor the other day but still have to do a bit of work on it. The motor wouldn't fit in the Sav, even with the extended bagage area. Just the paraglider was a bit tight agaist the control stick so i could only do left hand turns on the way home!

I may be able to strap the paramotor onto roof racks on the fuselage but then I think I may need a twin engine endorsement? or would that only be needed if the paramotor was running? bookread.gif

• Like 1

Guest Maj Millard

We do need to do something about those hairy legs in the last photo though...on a public beach I mean ....................Maj...029_crazy.gif.9816c6ae32645165a9f09f734746de5f.gif

We do need to do something about those hairy legs in the last photo though...on a public beach I mean ....................Maj...029_crazy.gif.9816c6ae32645165a9f09f734746de5f.gif

What's that about the pot and the kettle maj?

Absolutely fantastic stuff Ian. Thanks for the photos.

Pud

• Like 3

Guest Maj Millard

Hello Pud, hope you and your lovely wife are well, I shaved my legs the other day so they are not hairy anymore !.............................................Maj...giggle.gif.9fbf2613564ad555277246f6add2d17e.gif

Hello Pud, hope you and your lovely wife are well, I shaved my legs the other day so they are not hairy anymore !.............................................Maj...giggle.gif.9fbf2613564ad555277246f6add2d17e.gif

It didn't happen unless photos are forthcoming... Let's see'em.

We are all good over here in the West, waiting for visitors from the East - when you coming?

I'm a bit envious of Ian on that beach with the paraglider and Sav, 'cos I know what it's like!!!

Pud

• Like 1

Hi Keenaviator,

What a way to get back up from the west bomb out! certainly more comfortable than the "Borah Basher" I do believe that a storch used to top land there so should be no problem for the Savannah.

• Like 1

Hi Keenaviator,What a way to get back up from the west bomb out! certainly more comfortable than the "Borah Basher" I do believe that a storch used to top land there so should be no problem for the Savannah.

Or even better as a retrieve vehicle from a 200 k flight!

This is one of the reasons I let my Corby Starlet go and now building a Jabbie - the Starlet had no room for my paraglider and there are airstrips at so many good paragliding locations. Laurie.

• Like 2

Guest Maj Millard

Looks like you've started a new activity here Ian......................New business name : 'Savvy Retrievals !!'....we will probabily need a new 'heavy freight ' endorsement for it , and of course fitment of the latest AND unit in all aircraft, even though I know you already have one in 'Cab Sav'..........................................Maj...008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif 033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

Only problem is, if i'm Paragliding, who will fly Cab Sav? I will have have to work on Julie to get her licence!!!!!!!!!!!! Then that would be cosy, me Julie and the paraglider.compress.gif And of course the AND unitbueller.gif

• Like 1

Guest Maj Millard

Those new AND units are going to be a winner Ian. Mine will be up an running in the Lightwing soon, then I won't go anywhere without it, they really are the next step in navigation safety..............................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Has anyone actually been reprimanded/disciplined/tutt-tutted/whatever in any formal capacity for landing on a beach?

What is the difference between landing on a beach or landing something like a Super Petrel on a calm patch of water then running it up onto the beach?

Cool pics and activity, by the way.

• Like 1

Guest Maj Millard

I would suggest the odd beach landing should be allowed, if not even encouraged. For someone who flys as much coastal as I, and many others do up this way, and indeed all around our great country, the constant beaches below always offer good emergency landing options, should the sound of silence ensue.

Honing ones' skills with the odd sand/beach operation, gives us a much better chance of pulling it off when the stress level is up. But no, we don't need a bloody beach landing endorsement thanks !!................................Maj...083_lost.gif.2c655b36c89d6cff882e0dc8f9fc5e85.gif