Hi everyone

AM397

Hi,

I'm currently in the process of moving my tentpegs to another country (I'm from Denmark), and it has me thinking about getting a pilot's license and buy a small plane. If I could swing it, I'd buy a Pilatus PC6 Porter, but that won't happen in this lifetime, so if I go through with it, it will most likely be a small, secondhand plane to go camping with.

I'm 40 this year, so figure I need to do something as my friends have already had their midlife crisis and bought ridiculous cars, gotten a young lover or bought a motorcycle or big boat.

In the meantime, I will enjoy reading the threads on here :)

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum AM395. I am sure you will find yourself a flying machine. You may live over 100 so you are yet to meet your mid life, plenty time. Go get your license and start flying if you can. You will meet lots of new people that will expand your chances of fining a cheap plane or the use of one. Pilots seem to love helping others reach thier dream to fly...

Mardy

Thanks, Mardy, I didn't mention the country I hope to move to, but it is (of course) Australia which my number one choice. Second on the list is Canada (although I fear Canada is a bit easier, but it's on the wrong end of the globe).

I'm currently trying to figure out various legislation on buying property, building a house, getting a plane, a license and so on. So much work to make this happen, but it will happen somehow :)

• Like 1

Welcome AM397 (care to share your name?) Good to hear about your dream(s). Just a word of advice. Don't leave it too long to emigrate to Australia. We have an age limit of 46 if you're going to join the work force. Of course, if you're well loaded with cash by that time you're ready, the government will welcome you whatever your age and will then willingly take the cash from you.augie.gif.8d680d8e3ee1cb0d5cda5fa6ccce3b35.gif

• Like 2

Guest Maj Millard

Welcome Am397, well a young lover is not a bad option that's for sure, but that could end up more expensive than a small aeroplane, and you may pick up a young lover with it anyway, if you played your cards right !...

The ICP Savannah are a good buy used, and would seem to fit the discription you seek....Or another option would be you send me a young Danish lover (female, blonde, well endowed, rich ) and I'll find you a good used Savannah!...Anyway big welcome to the site mate, we look foward to reading your future posts.......................................................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Thanks everyone!

I'm hoping to emigrate for good within the next two or three years, but I'm a journalist, do a lot of PR for businesses these days, some audio and video work (editing, mostly), and I have written a couple of books (non-fiction) - most of these things I can do from abroad, as it's mostly done with a computer and files are sent to me.

If everything fails, I'll propably find a small piece of land in Australia, build a small cottage and have a small plane there. That way I can at least spend 4-6 months at a time there, while going home to make money. I definately don't have enough money to retire at this point!

By more or less accident, I know (of) the Savannah from www.stolspeed.com - it looks like a fine little plane to me.

Edit: I forgot, my name is Andre (and I'm standing up, lol)

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum, Andre. There are plenty of people telecommuting between here and Europe, a couple of them near where I live. We have the wide open spaces and sunlight (often a bit too much of it) and they bring ideas, energy and enthusiasm.

Keep us informed of your plans.

Nice to have a plan Andre (don't get the standing up bit) Check out the rules on non residences buying property. Some years back I had an Englishman knot on my door asking to buy my house(it was for sale) He had to put it in his friends name (resident) to be able to do so. BIG risk. The friends son lived in the house and trashed it. My beautiful pool was dark green within a couple of months.

413375915_Pool001.jpg.947018fe90b97043b67965cfa4d5ac31.jpg

Ooh, very nice pool!

I know that I can't just buy a house and that's it. I either have to buy some land and build a house on it, or buy a house and either demolish it and build a new, or "develop" the site (renovate, basically).

The standing up part was perhaps a bit convoluted, but it was a reference to "Hi, I'm Xxxx, and I'm an alcoholic", and since I don't have that addiction, I would merely be able to say "And I'm standing up". Not particular funny. Especially not when it's explained, he, he.

I'm 40 this year, so figure I need to do something as my friends have already had their midlife crisis and bought ridiculous cars, gotten a young lover or bought a motorcycle or big boat.

Hey, I'm well past 40 but it's great to know I still have so much to look forward to! 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

rgmwa

Ive had the motorbike (sold it) and the boat (about to sell it) and the car (keep'n it).

Got a Microlight trike with plans for more planes in the future.

I don't reckon it's a mid life crisis - more like a phase of life that many seen to follow ...

We always wanted these things, but either couldn't afford it or had other priorities... Marriage, house, kids, school etc etc...

• Like 1

Mark, I like that way of phrasing it. It makes it seem less panicky!

I hope to make it all happen soon, relatively speaking. I have been to Australia before, but that was more than a decade ago. This time, I feel like I have a plan, even if it takes a monstrous amount of energy, time, and money to make happen.

Yes, of course we have. Flies are a global phenomenon. Not like the extreme amount of the outback, mind you, but we do have flies.

Just as long as you know how popular you will be!

During 2 weeks in NZ I saw one fly, no spiders, snakes, etc. Our summer has hit and the bloody flies are here already. Plenty of Aussie salutes.

Guest Maj Millard

Andre, Good luck with the move when it happens. It's great to have interesting plans in life, especially when it is something as adventurous as a move between continents.

You'll have good contacts from this site, so don't hesitate to ask for any assistance you may need, when you do arrive..We are a pretty friendly bunch of people here as I'm sure you know, however we will need our Mary (apple danish) back eventually, when she's done being your current Queen !.....................................Cheers.............Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Old Koorelah, Those aren't flys down there...come up this way, the march Flys (aka horse flys) are just kicking in.

For you Andre:...the march fly is about three times the size of a normal fly and loves to latch on and give you a nasty bite. Just the thing you need with both hands in the bowels of an aircraft, with bare legs exposed and unprotected !..

Question : If you pulled both wings off a fly, would it then be a walk ??....008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Just as long as you know how popular you will be!During 2 weeks in NZ I saw one fly, no spiders, snakes, etc. Our summer has hit and the bloody flies are here already. Plenty of Aussie salutes.

I love going to NZ for a holiday.I get pretty anal when working in the Western Darling Downs. Im over seeing multiple Eastern Brown & the occasional Taipans at work.We had a toolbox meeting last week.(Have them every morning).Anyway this one was important.The paramedic explained how to pick a venomous snake. Non Venomous snakes have a head that is bigger than its body, 85 % of the time. The experts have found so far that 100 % of the time, venomous snakes have 3 scales between their eye ball & their nostril.Non Venomous snakes only have one scale between their eye ball & their nostril.Trouble is, Im not getting that close to have alook.lol.We have been told though, that snakes are protected (QLD, maybe every where else ) & killing a snake is something like a $50 000 fine. Unless it bite you.

People get bitten by the snake they dont see.Eg- standing on them Also for every snake a persons sees, they have not seen approx nine other snakes.Its not unusual for me to see 2 or more Brown snakes in a two week shift on the western Darling downs.

PS- I see 2 million flies at the same time.LOL

Guest Maj Millard

Read a book recently on the Tiapan...nasty piece of gear for sure. If you are unlucky enough to encounter one and get bitten, at best you've got about an hour, unless you get antivenom, and then you'll still have a few interesting days.

Without antivenom you looking at a very ugly and painfull certain death later that night !!..........Maj...013_thumb_down.gif.ec9b015e1f55d2c21de270e93cbe940b.gif

With bites, people can survive for many hours and days IF they do the right thing.Snakes inject their venom into the flesh.It would be extremely unlucky if they hit a vein.As long as the person doesnt panic & run around like a chook with its head cut off.They do stand a chance. Firstly, STOP MOVING AROUND, BE STILL. If peeps dont move around, venom moves very slowly around the body.Next wrap the limb with a bandage. Tight, but too tight as it cuts the circulation. Get somebody to raise help.PS- True story, a snake handler was bitten on his cheek.He held pressure on the spot that he was bitten with his hand.Drove to hospital & survived. The latest info is that a time frame cant be used to say when a person dies after being bitten. Stop the poison moving, under the skin & a person will eventually break down the poison.That was how hosiptals treated patients back in the day before anti venom was discovered.