Transporting wings

The ladder is a good idea.

I welded up a ladder frame, then mounted the front on a hinged spigot mounted off the front nudge bar on my ute.

to unload I'd go to the back of the ute, lift the ladder and carry it to the side (still pivoting at the front) swing it out to about 45 degrees then put that end on the ground. next step was to go around the front and lift the spigot out of the mount then put that end of the frame on the ground. This way I never had more than half the weight of the wing . Installation was just the reverse process.

I can dig out a picture in a couple of weeks when i get home.

Seems a little complicated but I had a shoulder issue at the time and didn't want to ruin the chance of flying.

Art

• 2 weeks later...

I've always favoured support under the wing too - I have a wooden frame with foam padding.

Although its more convenient, I'm not keen on carrying the wing on the trailer as the vehicle suspension is (usually) better.

Airborne_XT-SST(2).jpg.6326fc08f5106e9f899902b3f8b28f60.jpg

PS the plastic coating was just for a 800km drive in torrential rain.

Cheers

John

The last time I asked his question when I was looking to transport my aircraft everyone came back with 'aircraft are meant to be flown not driven!' However it really does open up many avenues of adventure to take your trike with you across our big wide country!

• 2 months later...
Guest Andys@coffs

A mate of mine got a length of 300mm PVC storm pipe, cut it in half, glued some neoprene into the half and used that quite effectively. Better than a ladder and a plank becuase it partially encloses the wing requiring little to hold the wing down with the associated rub points...

Andy