Broken Hill

Compulsion

if you have the ability, ring the AWIS when your about 10 miles out, and when you get the wind, you can then plan on a descent and circuit on the most into wind runway.

I flew in that part of the world late December, the thermals weren't to bad until mis morning, after that you just have to get high, about 7500ft will get you into cooler and calmer air.

Hoping to fly to Broken Hill now at Easter. Fly up Friday and stay for the weekend. I will only go if the weather is looking good. Still a lot of learning needed on my part yet.

Compulsion.

Broken Hill at Easter time is good. We have been there a couple of times, weather starts to settle down, but it can still get a tad warm.

Fly early in the morning (that's what DS is for isn't it?) when it is cooler, or late in the arvo.

Beautiful big airport with a fantastic runway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Broken_Hill_Airport_overview_Vabre.jpg

-Linda

ASIC - think of the $100 Hamburger. Check out the places that serve a decent hamburger at the end of an interesting flight (or not) and work out if it is a security airport.

Wollongong springs to mind with real food but you will need an ASIC. Sometimes it is just a lot easier to get an ASIC - or give up on $100 Hamburgers.058_what_the.gif.7624c875a1b9fa78348ad40493faf23c.gif

RAA IS processing ASICs and they are cheaper than CASA or the alternatives and the turn around time is pretty good.

Broken Hill is a great spot when the St Pats races are on, we take a few planes there every year. 16th March this year and can probably organise accom if required. You Don't need an asic- well you do but you dont if you know what everyone means.

Flier43 that's sounds like fun. I take it the races are on the Saturday. It is around a 2.5 hr flight so stay Saturday night then fly home Sunday. It is certaily something I will consider. I am really keen to travel but I am still a little nervous about new horizons.

Thanks Linda. Can I get away without an ASIC card. I really don't want to get one at this stage.

C.

It is a security controlled airport, but some airports are classed as security controlled but do not have RPT operations. An ASIC is not required at these airports. (this is from CASA themselves). Broken Hill has REX going in and out of it, as well as the RFDS.

A list is found here.

http://www.airportsecurity.net.au/airportsecurity/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=69&Itemid=66

-Linda