power house museum

Guest ozzie

Guest ozzie

Last Friday afternoon i had the pleasure of being invited to a private tour of the recently opened Powerhouse Discovery Centre at Seven Hills in Sydney. The main theme for this 2nd facility is transport history. Most is stored away, but will all eventually be rotated for all to see. There are several aircraft on display including two Minimum Aircraft. In November they will be holding an Aviation themed week, so stay tuned for the dates.

For those wishing to visit the display store facility, the opening hours are as follow.

public open days, second Saturday of the month 10am to 5pm bookings not required.

self guided groups tuesdays to fridays 10am/4pm booking and prepayment requiered $8 a head. full site visit available at extra cost.

A couple of photos

The Kimberley Skyrider, designed and built by Gary Kimberley and sold as plans.

The second is the Stolaero prototype by Steve Cohen. (Rainbow wing)

This is the aircraft that i taught myself to fly from scatch with. It has been in storage for about 20 years so it brought back lots of memories.

I'd love to fly it again.

Ozzie

DSC00243.JPG.2696c0563a63f760292fa23b6ffe2715.JPG

DSC00247.JPG.8f8c8b8e8d5655c693ea7126fcde2ff4.JPG

Seven Hills. That is where they built the Transavia Air Truck. Years ago I was at our company depot there which was part of the same complex and they gave the air truck a test flight. My impression at the time was what an ugly thing it was, but it flew well and was a good performer for it's day.

I believe that the one that they built at Seven Hills was the Transavia Airtruk.

The Air Truck ( either Bennet's or Waitomo Air Truck) was built in New Zealand and the Transavia Airtruck was a derivative thereof. If I remember correctly the original Bennet's aircraft was concocted out of surplus Harvard parts.

I am sure that someone on this forum will be better informed then me and will supply the correct details.

best of wishes

and fading memories

Davidh

Guest ozzie

Waitomo Airtruk New Zealands first commercial aircraft designed by Luigi Pellarini in mid 50's

Airtruck was futher developed by Transavia at Seven Hills as PL12 Airtruk

It differed with stub lower wings and flat six cont. later upped to flat 8 engine. production started in 66 and ceased in 93.

from my big book of aircraft. (googal)

It was a sturdy sensible design with simple tuff gear operates from anywhere, the twin booms allowed the truck to fill the hopper easy.

designed with in field maitainence in mind.

i saw one several years ago at Powerhouse's main museum at Ultimo Sydney.

We were jumping at Corowa on the NSW Vic border, the pilot was making a phone call at the terminal and a crowd gathered around it. there was some strange noises coming from inside the aircraft, so some dummy opened the door and three sheep jumped out. 30 minutes of caos. 100 skydivers and 1 really peeved farmer chased them all over that airport.

Guest Robbo

Didnt they use one of the Transavia airtruks in a "mad max" film?

I saw one out at Bathurst a few months ago sitting beside a hangar in a very poor, unairworthy condition:(

Guest ozzie

Yes there was one fearured in one of the Mad Max movies.

i also remember reading a story of two pilots who went to China to teach some chinese pilots how to use the Airtruk for Agwork. One aircraft crashed with only the Aussie pilot on board. some time later the story of him being shot down after straying to close to a military facility emerged after the remains of his aircraft was found in a military hanger some years later with cannon holes thru it by some of the pilots former students.

Ozzie

Guest pecram air

Air Truck

There are 2 Airtrucks at Bathurst (Opposite my hangar) the one alongside the hangar is the spare parts for the the operational unit. This unit is still used for ag spraying. The interesting thing is to watch the loader getting a lift home at the end of the day he sits in a little cubby at the rear of the plane facing backwards. I will attach some photos when i next go to the hangar.

Phil C.