Not-for-profit organisations ....options

Pete Greed

Because of the pending special general meeting in Feb 2013, I have taken the liberty to attach to this post some notes relating to the trends and options available to community based/not -for-profit organisations. In particular I quote from the notes: "Boards will increasingly need to adopt a more robust leadership position and undertake even more robust: strategic discussions, strategic thinking, strategic decisions"

The notes also say "Understand the emerging/future big picture of your NFP’s industry/sector - get out and about to:

* build contacts and networks

* gather new ideas and seek opportunities

* collect business intelligence

* strategically plan and develop

* benchmark/compare

* undertake applied research

This forum provides us the opportunity to create strategic discussion - the first plank in building, with the board, the strategic thinking that will lead to robust strategic decisions. Lets have the debate and contribute to the future of our organisation by addressing, with the board, those six starred points above.

Not for profit discussion paper Dec 2012 final(3).pdf

• Like 1

A budget, put to the members for approval would be a good start, then you can see where money is allocated, and it's harder for it to disappear into general expenditure.

And a clear mission statement encapsulating the goals and objectives of the organisation; a work plan to go with the budget so we know what is to be achieved in each financial year; clear and unambiguous policies to set out the who, how and what of the organisation; a system of onging review (audits) of policies in place and work achievements so that key staff can be assessed against their KPI's.

kaz

• Like 7

And a clear mission statement encapsulating the goals and objectives of the organisation; a work plan to go with the budget so we know what is to be achieved in each financial year; clear and unambiguous policies to set out the who, how and what of the organisation; a system of onging review (audits) of policies in place and work achievements so that key staff can be assessed against their KPI's.kaz

These are some of the least glamorous things and hardest work that a Committee has to do (at least I find it hard). But it is also some of the most important work, and if you believe in the organisation you volunteered to serve it's something you just have to do. I suspect it would take more than two meetings a year to complete in a reasonable time frame. Budgeting for some extra meetings and workshops which include a facilitator and some of the general membership would be money well spent if Board members could afford the time.

• Like 3

It should be "not for Prophets" as well. Governance and adherence to rules and future aims and policies to implement or "sunset " if they don't get acted upon......."Connect" to members as a resource not just a subscription base. etc etc... Nev

• Like 1

These are some of the least glamorous things and hardest work that a Committee has to do (at least I find it hard). But it is also some of the most important work, and if you believe in the organisation you volunteered to serve it's something you just have to do. I suspect it would take more than two meetings a year to complete in a reasonable time frame. Budgeting for some extra meetings and workshops which include a facilitator and some of the general membership would be money well spent if Board members could afford the time.

The answer is Board sub-committees. There are as we all know, some very talented, experienced and highly skilled members who would be prepared to do some work but not want to sign up for two years as a Board Member. The current Board have killed off the GYFTS Committee and shut down the Constitution Review Committee. Perhaps the Ops Manual Committee is working now but how would anyone know about that?

• Like 1

Guest Andys@coffs

Things we should do in the future:-

Each year CASA and RAAus sign a Deed of Agreement for the year. In that deed are not optional outcomes that CASA require RAAus to achieve in the coming year. The Deed, or at least the activities in the schedule to the Deed should be published to the members (and not by magazine, thats too slow !) and then projects estabished to achiee the outcomes sought.

Where the items that CASA want us to acvhieve are aligned to our core direction then great, when they sligjhtly tangential the projects should be costed and budget sought both in context of implementation and future steady state costs to maintain. The Deed should not be signed if we cant achieve appropriate funding for the work to be done, or at least a negotiated compromise position is achieved.

We should also change our membership database systems so that core skills and experience can be captured so that if we need Board sub committees they can be populated with members who have the necessary tertiary and life skills necessary to achieve the best possible outcomes

Regards

Andy

Alfa, I agree:

Sub-committees, even with a limited life and co-opted members (non-members), are a smart and less-expensive option when tackling a range of topics - from governance to operations. The cost, of course, is part of the necessary risk aversion strategies required to bring any incorporated organisation up to the speed. Clearly there are reserves enough to make those short term investments for the future of RAAus. Speaking of risk aversion, one National Board I was involved with in the past, operated its own (very successful) insurance business in partnership with a broker. Clients of the service were made up of member not-for-profit Associations, and Companies limited, from across Australia - just one example of thinking laterally. Of course one of the weaknesses of RAAus is its lack of formal connection with its community base - the regional recreational aviation groups located nation wide. If clubs and associations were engaged with RAAus at a national level, many of the problems of communications, and the testing of RAAus Board decisions, would be negated.

• Like 1

What might be a good starting point... a sub-committee to seek nominations for:

Board, CEO and SMT

An excellent board will recruit and retain an excellent chief executive officer; an excellent chief executive officer will recruit and retain an excellent senior management team.......

Recruit for excellence, train for incremental change

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Andy, by now most newer members to this forum have formed an opinion regarding the current operational structure of RAAus. Clearly from the posts some members have reason to be concerned, and even bitter, about their treatment while part of the past RAAus governance/management process. Exposing the flaws in both governance and management of RAAus has been an important exercise and to me has shaped my views (and I am sure the views of others) on what I personally feel about the future of RAAus.

During my long career in both management and as a board member of local and national organisations I have also been exposed to bullying tactics which were hurtful and inconsistent with my role as a board member. It was ironic however, that by resigning from that board, I allowed the practice to continue. I am passionate about recreational flying and see the need to have a strong national and regional presence - but we must work within the constraints of our constitution. The special general meeting is the first step in bringing about the sort of cultural change so badly needed - bullying is an insidious culture that pushes aside good practice and divides like minded people.

Fighting poor governance with poorer governance is not an answer. The motions to be put at the general meeting will be critical in not only changing the strategic direction of RAAus but also alerting the RAAus board to the fact that the members are not an unruly rabble, but committed people able to think through the issues and provide workable answers. So, apart from lobbying our State representatives on the Board, the general meeting is an opportunity for direct member contribution.

What's the next move? It may be appreciated by those wanting to vote on member issues, if some draft motions could now be developed for discussion. The release of such material would also be an educative experience for RAAus board members who may be following this forum. I guess it will be the board that will ultimately receive the motions and will have the responsibility to act on them.

Pete

• Like 1