1st Flight with GoPro

Compulsion

Compulsion: Welcome to the video tragics club.

Seriously, videoing your flights is a great way to be able to share them with non-flying friends and also to re-live the flights yourself. My wife and I got into videoing when we had the trike and are still going with the Nynja.

There are some really great video editing programs (and some that are just really Expensive) out there. I use Power Director as it's good for amateurs like myself and it's cheap.

There are some clever editing tricks on YouTube. This guy gave me lots of really neat ideas.

• Like 1

I always get irked with what the strobing does to the prop. The top video has blades flying off like shuffled cards.

That's caused by Rolling Shutter Distortion. It's due to the way the camera sensor is sampled in non-professional cameras. The sensor is scanned from top to bottom in real time. So something that moves quickly relative to the scan speed, such as a propellor, gets "captured" at several places during each frame. On "professional" cameras, the sensor is double-buffered, which means that the whole sensor is "snapshotted" for each frame and then the snapshot is scanned. Rolling Shutter distortion not only ruins the props, but if the camera experiences any vibration, you get a really annoying effect that looks like viewing the video through jelly. This is especially true if the video is shot at the upper end of the camera's capability. For the GoPros this is the 1080p setting. If you shoot at the 720p setting with a 60fps frame rate, the effect is reduced, but not eliminated because the sensor is still not double-buffered.

The current model GoPros come in three flavours: white, silver and black. The white edition is the base model, and also the most affordable. That's the one I have (I know I'm cheap), and it's reasonably good if you work around it's limitations.

I just tried to make a video of my flight for the first time in a long time. I used my Panasonic DMC-TZ7 (a compact) for the first time and I was pleasantly surprised with the result - the props actually appeared natural in flight. It was set to Motion JPEG recording mode (MP4), but I was unaware that it had a fairly short time limit in that mode so I only managed to get 11mins recording 013_thumb_down.gif.ec9b015e1f55d2c21de270e93cbe940b.gif. So, next time I fly I'm going to try it again in AVCHD mode, which I've tested will give me about 2hrs worth of recording, battery permitting.

Cheers,

Not a great video but it can only get better. Waiting to get a suction mount for the wing.

I made an aluminium bracket that bolts on to the wing strut eye hole for tie downs.