Nowra over the Christmas Period

damoski

Hi all,

I was thinking of transiting airspace near Nowra over the Christmas period - maybe 27-29th December. I'll be in a RA-Aus Non-Transponder A/C on a Recreational Certificate.

I've run all the R420- zones through NAIPS for up to 112hrs ahead, and they all show deactivated - so I assume they're off to the beach. However, NAIPS warns this does not cover the Nowra CTR. I can't find anything that does inform whether the CTR can/would be deactivated. My defaulting at the moment is that it would not be (since it would be de-activated explictly by NOTAM?), and perhaps I should call Sydney Center or Melbourne Center on the day and ask.

Does anyone know what Nowra does over this period? Even if the CTR is active, it looks like I could skirt it through R450-/R452/R453 (all are deactivated) and stay feet dry - is there a reason I can't do that?

Interestingly, Richmond also shows deactivated...?

Thanks!

Damo

Nowra is usually deactivated over the christmas break, just listen up on the atis freq and it will tell you at the time as well. basically it becomes a big CTAF quite a few Raaus aircraft operate in there outside of tower hours. but they can reactivate at short notice, at which point, if you are in the zone, you will be given adequate time to vacate the area.

Thankyou for asking FIRST. We have had a few 'intruders' lately, and It causes me huge headaches and lots of plicating phone calls when RaAus acft bust this CTA and R zones as its taken a long time and many meetings with the powers that be for us to be given the OK to operate in the airspace when its active.

You should be fine, as Rob said the base is deactivated over the holidays. It can become active, but generally doesnt.;)

A note to others. If you are not Transponder equipped, and not a PPL holder, then a 'clearance' delivery from ATC does NOT make your flight into CTA legal. ATC have no idea if you are compliant, they "assume' that because you are asking for the clearance that you ARE compliant.

Even if you tell them you are not PPL and Transponder equipped and they let you in, this is STILL a breach of the airspace.

damoski, call into Jaspers for a coffee..;)

Thanks for the heads-up, -merv!

That's a good point on Jaspers - I tried a couple of times early last year, but unfortunately wasn't in an amphib. =;-) Currently tossing up between going S or W from YOAS, but will decide in the morning...

D

Hi all,

Just wanted to say thanks - we flew to Moruya and routed directly over Nowra on the way there; made a refreshing change. I did call the number mentioned above, the number in the ERSA, and the mobile number - left voicemail on all, no response on any. In the end I called Sydney, who referred me to Melbourne, who confirmed the CTR was deactivated... but we flew at 2,500ft anyway. :-)

And we even dropped into Jaspers' :-)

D

• Like 2