Training Costs

Guest Booker YPMQ

Guest brentc

On the flip side, there is 'apparently' a GA school around that is training students in an RA registered aircraft to CPL level. As discussed in previous threads you can go all the way there with the exception of the constant speed endorsement and the flight test, depending on the type of aircraft that you are flying. (aircraft for the flight test must has a documented ias of 120 or greater)

Guest Booker YPMQ
Haha, yeah, it would be weird. Weirder still, I am training in a VH registered Gazelle. ;)I am their first RAA student, up until now, almost 20 students have gone through to their PPL while training mostly in that same Gazelle.

Shaun,

Why are you doing your RAA certificate and not your PPL? The attraction for most people to RAA is that they can learn to fly more cheaply than GA. But if your school is operating a VH Gazelle then why not do your PPL? I presume the hourly rate is no less just cause you're an RAA student. The course for the PPL is 40 hrs as apposed to 20hrs for RA but I have never seen a student graduate at 20hrs.

Once you have your PPL it is only five hours of flying to be given your RAA certificate and you will be automatically given passenger carrying and cross country endorsements.

In addition to this, if you ever want to become an instructor you have to pass the PPL exams to graduate to Senior Instructor. May as well get it over and done with??

Doesn't make sense to me???

Adam, it's type 1 diabetes. While I am fully within the CASA standards for controlling it, I simply don't have the $1000 to fork out for a class 2 medical, which then comes with the 'as or with co-pilot only' restriction. I might be going for it next year when I have enough cash, but at the moment I simply don't have that amount of money lying around, and then chancing it on the fact that CASA might just turn around and say no, simply because one of my reports state I am 0.1% over for something. I wouldn't know what that something would be because I am going to be examined with more scrutiny than someone going for a class 1 medical.

Since all my RAAus hours count to a PPL, I find that it is the best method for me at the moment. When I do go for my medical, I already have my SPL so it would just be some higher air work in a C172 and then to pass some CASA exams and I would get my PPL. But at the moment I simply don't have the funds to risk.

Guest brentc

Don't lose heart Shaun, there is a gent in Melbourne who is flying as a type 1 diabetes. He recently wrote an article in Australian Aviation about how he beat CASA at the Administrative Appeals Tribunal. He proved to them that his condition is fully manageable and he is now able to fly solo in GA. He knew how to go about it as he is an ex commercial pilot and instructor. I can put you in touch with him if you wish.

Yup, I read that article, it was in the DAME newsletter, the flight safety mag, and the australian aviation mag. It took him a good 10 years though. I would be delighted to get in contact with him, but at the moment, I am not interested in a fight with CASA, or even taking on the dreaded medical, I just want to fly. Next year when I have almost a years worth of blood sugar logs, all the test reports and enough cash to go for a host of ecg's and stuff, I will look heavily into it. I am not giving up on GA, I am just taking an alternate route. 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Thanks for the info. 018_hug.gif.8f44196246785568c4ba31412287795a.gif

(aircraft for the flight test must has a documented ias of 120 or greater)

Does this mean that to get a PPL you have to fly an aircraft that flies at over 120kts. That would shut out all the C150 and a lot of C172 aircraft that I have ever flown, not to mention airtourers, chippies and tigers.

Guest Booker YPMQ

Shaun,

Didn't think of that did I! And how right you are in going for your RA-Aus certificate. To get out there and get some flying done is the main thing and if that's the way to go then go for it.

Cheers

Shaun,Didn't think of that did I! And how right you are in going for your RA-Aus certificate. To get out there and get some flying done is the main thing and if that's the way to go then go for it.

Cheers

Yup, there is always something to come and bite you in the backside. 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

As long as I can fly, I am a happy camper.024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Andys@coffs

Wow, Ive only just looked into this thread and can now add something else to my list of things that are very cost effective in SA.

I belong to the Adelaide Soaring Club, which cost around $400 per year. In doing that the rates for the Ultralight Aircraft that I then have access too are:-

ASC Member J160 $94.00 per air switch hour.

Non-ASC Member J160 $125.00 per air switch hour.

Minimum charge of 3 hours/day will be charged if Jabiru taken away from airfield for whole day.

Tecnam P92 - $110.00 per Tacho hour.

These rates are independant of whether you are 1 up, or need an instructor with you.

It would seem to me that with some of the higher rates that Ive seen in this thread you could buy a oil burner return ticket to Adelaide, pay to live in at the ASC airfield for a week or 3, get your RAA certificate while flying over the barossa valley and flyhome with some sizable money left over as a deposit on a jabby! What could be better?? http://www.adelaidesoaring.on.net/ for details, read em and weep

Those prices are fantastic Andy, our Aero club here in Mackay doesn't own any aircraft (as far as I know) which is probably why we only pay $11 per year for membership. 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

I think it is mainly been that way because we have never had an FTF here in Mackay, and now that one is on its way, things should start to look up, the Aero Club is also starting to get their act together, so hopefully we can see them purchase a Jab soon, and then be clever enough to be able to work out a pricing scheme similar to yours, it would be great, we have some nice scenery up here that I would just love to see.

Guest Booker YPMQ
Don't lose heart Shaun, there is a gent in Melbourne who is flying as a type 1 diabetes. He recently wrote an article in Australian Aviation about how he beat CASA at the Administrative Appeals Tribunal. He proved to them that his condition is fully manageable and he is now able to fly solo in GA. He knew how to go about it as he is an ex commercial pilot and instructor. I can put you in touch with him if you wish.

Brentc,

I have been contacted by a guy with type 1 diabetes who is going the RA-Aus route as a result of losing his medical. Can you please give me the name of the guy who beat CASA on this so I can put him in touch.

Brentc, I have been contacted by a guy with type 1 diabetes who is going the RA-Aus route as a result of losing his medical. Can you please give me the name of the guy who beat CASA on this so I can put him in touch.

Sorry Brent, if I am intruding.

Adam, you don't need to beat CASA initially. A person with Type 1 Diabetes can get a class 2 medical provided they meat certain medical criteria.

The criteria are here in the DAME handbook: http://casa.gov.au/manuals/regulate/dame/080r0204.pdf

On page 6 you will see some requirements for all diabetic pilots, whether it be type 1 or 2.

On page 7, in section 3, you will see information specific to Type 1 applicants.

The criteria aren't too hard to conform to, it is actually just the normal ranges that all diabetic people should be controlling themselves within, and is where most clinics will train newly diagnosed people to keep their sugars.

The only problem with type 1 diabetes, is that newly diagnosed people go through a very rough period in management which lasts up to 5 years, where their body goes through many internal conflicts and makes it extremely difficult to manage. So most DAME's won't certify a pilot if they are newly diagnosed and will ask the applicant to wait at least a year before they try again.

The fight starts when you believe that the "as or with co-pilot" restriction on your medical is not needed anymore. That is when you need to battle it out with CASA and prove to them, beyond any doubt, that you have less than a 1% chance of being even partially incapacitated in flight.

By the way, it is Roger Serong who beat CASA. :big_grin:

Guest Booker YPMQ

Thanks Shaun,

I will pass on the info.

By the by, crappy day here in Port Macauarie. Had to cancel students due rain and wind. Oh well, makes you appreciate the good days I guess.

Cheers