Day trip to Rottnest island?

I'm yet to complete my Nav training and was wondering if it is possible to go over to Rottnest island in a raaus aircraft. I know it skirts pretty close to perth controlled airspace and doesn't look like you'd be able to go much higher than 2500ft. Has anyone done it before and is it even legal etc. yes I will read up the regs etc but was just curious as I reckon it could be an awesome day trip or even overnighter. Rottnest is also notorious for its crosswinds ;)

I can't answer your question about legality, but check the VTC because you have to be below 2000' if you're taking the shortest route from the Fremantle area. Also watch out for the restricted area on Garden Island if you decide to go that way to get more height. Then when you do get there, you'll need $45 in your pocket to pay the landing fee! I suppose it costs money to pick up all those run-over quokkas off the runway.

rgmwa

Wow thanks guys I'll let you know what I find out. $45! that's insane haha, but then Rottnest has more signposts, rules and regs of what to do and not to do per square kilometer than anywhere else on the planet... they have to pay the nannys that run the joint

$45! that's insane

Yes. I vaguely remembered hearing something about fees when I went over there. No problems, nobody in sight on the airfield, so I did a few touch and goes. A week later I got a bill via the aero club. Some well hidden spotter must have taken the rego. Apparently a full stop landing is $45, and any number of T&G's is $45. But as long as your wheels stay 6 inches off the ground you can fly up and down the strip as much as you like for free.

rgmwa

Yes, you can do it in an RAAus aircraft.

CTA LL 2000 in the Freo area.

Some form of SAR watch required (12nm over water).

Normal CTAF procedures at YRTI.

Practice your crosswind landings! 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Wear lifejackets. Know how they work. Brief your Pax.fall.gif.71a3a1a6c885cc86d269faaf01fe4bf3.gif

In an RAAus registered aircraft AVDATA may have trouble tracking you down to send the bill. 095_cops.gif.448479f256bea28624eb539f739279b9.gif

Short walk to 'town' centre and beach.

Bus and train tours + bike hire.

Don't feed the quokkas.

Have fun.

DWF

• Like 1