Video: Ex TC Oswald 2013 - Fraser Coast

CrayonBox

Guest Maj Millard

Nice video there CB, and looks like a fun flight also. It seems like you guys down there may have got the biggest rainfall. We got our share of course, but no serious ongoing flooding. I tipped 12 inches out of my rain guage north of Ingham the other day. It's a 12" model so there could have been more !...It's amazing that a week later southern areas like Rochampton (Fitzroy Rv) are still waiting for that river to peak !......I flew the Burdekin area last weekend (Ayr, Home Hill) and there is a lot of water laying around for sure in canefields. Drove through last night and that water now is now starting to have quite an odour, as vegetation rots. There has also been a noticable increase in the mosquito numbers throughout, and I predict this to really worsen, as there is no way they will get to spray all those wet areas.................................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

I hate too think what Bundaberg looks like. They seem to have had the biggest infrastructure damage. I've heard it and Maryborough really smell due to stagnant mud etc. But with Rockhampton waiting for the peak, there will be more to see.

By the time I got in the air due to poor weather and a soggy airfield, most of the water here had already dropped, so the video doesn't show the full drama, but still gives a feeling of disaster in the making. As it happened I was very cautious about the heavy cloud and showers to my south when flying in Maryborough. I didn't want to stick around for too long. Got back the Hervey Bay and it was lovely and sunny.

I thought I would have a quick trip up and back the Hervey Bay to pick up some bits for my RV,,,,,,shoulda left Saturday ,,,,,ended up stuck there till Wednesday arvo,,,,,still coulda been worse, spent a couple of days helping a mate rivet his RV7 wing and talking aeroplanes/bull5hit

nice video, I didn't get up while I was there but hoping to call in later in the year on a ayers rock trip

Met

2013 Is the sixth heaviest rainall in the past 25 years and that is only January. By the time the year is over it will be a wet one.

The forecast before it all began for Gladstone was possible showers, ex cyclone Oswald over Mackay not expected to have any great effect on the South East.

It sat over Gladstone area for over 2 days, before rushing South. If it had sat over Bundy, Brisbane would have been washed away. I believe that the forecast was for minor flooding in Bundy. I know forecasting is a hard job, but everyone knows that to be to the SE of a cyclone in this part of the world, you are going to get wet.

That was a really good video Stew. Thanks for posting it.

I have an old flame that lives at Antigua. I'll try and send her the link, so she can see the general area from the air.

Mate, it looks like your'e really starting to enjoy yourself, when the weather allows you to.

Kind regards

Planey

• Like 1

That was a really good video Stew. Thanks for posting it.I have an old flame that lives at Antigua. I'll try and send her the link, so she can see the general area from the air.

Mate, it looks like your'e really starting to enjoy yourself, when the weather allows you to.

Kind regards

Planey

Yes i had a really nice relaxed flight this morning, ( before the rough weather set in which is now blowing 20kts) and managed my first solo landing over our intimidating power lines at the north end of our strip. I called them psychologically disturbing once. My confidence and enjoyment of freedom improves with each flight.