How close can we (RA) fly to Avalon?

RobynD39

Hi there. Bob and I are hoping to fly to Warrnambool later this month and then drive to the Avalon air show. But I'm wondering if we could fly up via Petersborough towards Geelong and maybe tie down at a strip close to a train or bus stop. I thought maybe Moriac or even Lethbridge if we sneak in from the south. Anyone know if this is possible? It's early days in my nav training so I'm not sure by looking at the charts how close we can get to Avalon. It looks like we can go all the way to Geelong but correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks,

Robyn

"Nav-noob"

Thanks everyone. I see now from the website we can fly in with permission from CASA. It all seems very complicated though.

Patrick I'll get Bob to ring you if he is interested.

Safe flying all!

Cool, I am flying in from Adelaide and will be an Air traffic controller in the tower at Avalon for the duration of the airshow. It may look complicated but with a comprehensive brief and a really good study of the maps, YAVE or Avalon East is a great option if you like to camp under wing, excellent environment for a great deal of learning from other pilots.

Cool, I am flying in from Adelaide and will be an Air traffic controller in the tower at Avalon for the duration of the airshow. It may look complicated but with a comprehensive brief and a really good study of the maps, YAVE or Avalon East is a great option if you like to camp under wing, excellent environment for a great deal of learning from other pilots.

Sounds awesome. I've always wanted to see the Avalon airshow and to fly in instead of driving would be brilliant! :-)

Is the Rv6a registered RAA?

Yes it is, and Bob only has an RAA licence. Bob heard that it costs $600 to get approval from CASA to enter controlled airspace, though I'm not sure if there is a special provision for only going to the airshow. As I said, it all sounds too complicated.

Excellent, no $600 fee but if you have it, I'll take a donation. Contact RAA, Zane Tully, OPS Manager and great bloke, RAA will get an organisation wide approval to get entry into the RESTRICTED area, it won't be a Class D towered Airport for the Airshow, it will be a great adventure, drop me a call over the next few days and I'll try and answer any questions you may have.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1