That's what I'm talkin' about....

This post is about underscoring the conviction of those that represent recreational aviation.... all of you out there!

I am a member of the Bathurst Aero Club; the club owns a Cessna and most members are GA pilots or students.

I am the only RAA member, but a few others in the club are interested in RAA aircraft.

I offered to assist the club come to know more about RAA aircraft and set about inviting some RAA owner / pilots to bring their aircraft to a club competition day - last Sunday.

I approached Sam Bateo and Bruce Barcham from Mudgee to bring their a/c over - and they spread the word to others. I also invited the guys from PG Aviation in Cowra and Orange Aero Club to bring their RAAs along..

In total we had 11 aircraft visit on Sunday including - 4 Jabs (with a great tail dragger Jab. from Orange), a Tecnam, a Savannah, a Thruster, a Brumby, a Storch, a GlasAir and, of course, my trike! Each owner gave a short presentation on their a/c to the group.

It was a real eye-opener for our club members to see such a diversity of aircraft - backed by such enthusiastic operators.

No wonder we are the fastest growing segment in Australian aviation...;)

Cheers

Chris

Good onya Chris. Spread the word 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif.

I had a brief friendly with a fellow aviator yesterday (GA). I mentioned plans to fly up to Qld in the CT next week. His response "All you need now is a real airplane". Then went on to tell me he favours touring in the Bell 44. "What's the fuel burn on that?" I asked. "60 litres per hour but it does a comfortable 120 TAS". "Oh" I said, "I prefer the 20 litres the CT burns, and that at 120 too." He turned and walked away.

Paul

Guest pecram air

Not the only one !!

Hey Bush pilot you forgot me !! I am also RAAus pilot and a Member of Bathurst Aero Club. Family event stopped me from being there last Sunday but 19-3096 is often parked outside the clubhouse with the usual comments of "Whats That !!".

Regards,

Phil C.

Gosh - sorry Phil! I've seen that baby there - but not recently; so how come we haven't met?! Ive been a member for 2 years. Do you go to any of the club functions? Will pm you with some other thoughts..

Cheers,

Chris

I wish I had have known as I would have liked to have popped up in the CT

Ian - What an offer! If only I had have thought. I figured that I was doing well to get guys in from Cowra and Canberra - so didn't even contemplate further afield.

However, we are going to do a 'public' day in the near future - to get Bathurst folks interested in RAAs. So will definitely spread the word further for that one..

Cheers

Chris

Guest David C
Good onya Chris. Spread the word 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif.I had a brief friendly with a fellow aviator yesterday (GA). I mentioned plans to fly up to Qld in the CT next week. His response "All you need now is a real airplane".

Paul

Mate you should have told him that a CTSW is currently on a Round the World record breaking flight , being flown by an Indian Airforce crew . They should be in Japan or thereabouts by now . That would have shut him up for sure .;)

Dave C

Guest bateo

Was a great day Chris, Especially with the 114 knot cruise on the way over...!! Nice and Calm.

It was good to see so many pilots bring their toy's along, Almost all pilots who turned up on the day are part of the 'central western' community flyers haha.. Whom are in frequently in contact with each other.

Ian would've of been good to see a CT there.. Maybe next 'Public day' Chris, there maybe an opportunity to get some Rec. flying members there too!??

Oh and maybe next time we can go for a quick spin in the Tecnam.. I had to shoot off earlier in the day unfortunately..

Glad the club got to experience the new 'thrill' of flying

Good that you enjoyed it Sam. We look forward to doing it again.

How do the 'central western' community flyers exchange? I'd like to get myself in the circle. Are most of them on this Forum?

One thing that Ian might be able to support is regional groups - where on the same Forum there a sections for members in given regions... I guess anyone could do that with a thread... What do you think Ian? (Some of the Car clubs do that on their forums - with indexed pages for each State).

And, btw, its been brought to my attention that I called you by your Rec Av Forum handle ('Bateo') in my initial report here; shows how they can stick in ones mind 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif. So I guess you wont mind me clarifying here that you are in fact Sam Bateman ;)

Cheers

Chris

Guest bateo

haha thanks Chris..

These little communities exchange together with all the smaller fly-in's held around the area.. A popular one is in Wellington which is held on a private strip (you may have heard some members talk about it).. It gets bigger every year with around 25 aircraft attending last yr, with even some RA-Aus board members attending. I will keep in Touch, the date hasnt been set as yet but will get the word out on the forum when it is. None of the pilots in that group have joined the forum as yet.. not that I have noticed anyway.

No doubt Bruce will keep you informed during your training in the Jab.