[Apr 5, 2013] Wayne Fisher memorial Flight (South Australia)

As we can't get to Lismore for the 5th April for the memorial flight for Wayne Fisher, a Drifter and a Fisher Mk 1 will be making a morning flight up the coast of Adelaide from Aldinga on the 5th. I'd like to invite any other rag and tube aircraft or anyone with an aircraft that would like to participate to mark the passing of a legend. A rough plan at this point is to depart from Aldinga in the early morning, open formation ( not a true formation as per the rules), fly the coast to Noarlunga, with a landing at Hunt Field for a cuppa and some cake ( donations for te family will be collected in leiu of flowers ) and a chat, then return to Aldinga for a quiet beer at the hanger. Any out of towers wanting to overnight, accommodation for people and parking for aircraft can be organised. Please come and help us remember Wayne as the true spirit and legend of Ultralight Aviation from its grass roots.

• Like 7
  • Winner 3

Guest Maj Millard

Surly (don't call me surly) you mean 6am to 8am ??????????.............but a great idea for 4 sure..............Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

As we can't get to Lismore for the 5th April for the memorial flight for Wayne Fisher, a Drifter and a Fisher Mk 1 will be making a morning flight up the coast of Adelaide from Aldinga on the 5th. I'd like to invite any other rag and tube aircraft or anyone with an aircraft that would like to participate to mark the passing of a legend. A rough plan at this point is to depart from Aldinga in the early morning, open formation ( not a true formation as per the rules), fly the coast to Noarlunga, with a landing at Hunt Field for a cuppa and some cake ( donations for te family will be collected in leiu of flowers ) and a chat, then return to Aldinga for a quiet beer at the hanger. Any out of towers wanting to overnight, accommodation for people and parking for aircraft can be organised. Please come and help us remember Wayne as the true spirit and legend of Ultralight Aviation from its grass roots.

Thanks Patrick, We are touched that you would organise this, dad would be very honoured.

What a great idea. I will be taking my drifter to Lismore for the memorial.

Hi David, it is great to know that you will be here for the Friday memorial. Are you a member of the Flying Tigers at all, because we have been trying to get in contact with them to extend a special invitation for the day, as we met many members at dad's 60th and were touched by their regard and respect for our father.

Guest Maj Millard

Fisherdaughters, I don't know if you girls were involved in your fathers flying activities or not. I can't imagine him not loading you into the backseat of a Drifter at least once or twice, for a ride...but then maybe not. The two or three times I met Wayne were just a pleasure. At Inglewood one year, myself, Wayne, and several other UL pilots shared a single motel room after a very spirited session at the Inglewood pub talking bout ...you guessed it !...the days' flying. We payed for a room for two, but there was not much floor space left. As I recall Wayne got the bed.... and nobody argued with that !.......Wayne was an aviation and Drifter legend..of that there is no doubt, but he was a very humble one, and simply let his flying do the talking. And what a supurb aviator and pilot he was. His greatest qualities to me were that he always went out of his way, and made time to help a fellow aviator, with advice or assistance, where he could. But above all, he was just always a pilot like the rest of us, just enjoying what he enjoyed most. Even with his many years of experience and hours in the air, it was always a level playing field with Wayne Fisher....if you could keep up !!........................................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Yes I am a member of the tigers and although I haven't spoken to all members as yet I am sure there will be a contingent wishing to attend. The best contact person is Andrew "kiwi" the Vice Pres. His # is 0438 250 404

I will be there weather permitting.

Well, thanks once again Wayne, one of your aircraft filled the sky today with grace and elegance, accompanied by a Strut Braced Drifter, we were celebrating your life and love of Drifters. We went in search of fellow aviators, to chat and drink tea with, our first stop was a beautiful spot ( Hunt Field ) but no tea and biscuits were to be had. So in line with all good Drifter pilots, we went searching, our next stop was a lofty farm strip at Mount Compass, new to us, a low pass to check the strip and awaken the locals. With our aircraft nestled on the ground a cuppa was offered and great fully accepted. Lots of stories and memories were shared.

Thanks Wayne, your were a pioneer, an adventurer and a kindred spirit to us all, your wisdom and calm nature were always at hand when repairs were needed to be auctioned and your love of family and flying were always evident. Thanks.

• Like 5