What type of check ride?

elgbj

Hi,

I haven't flown for a several years. I have a Commercial and Instument ratings. I plan to fly Sport Pilot when I finish my airplane this Summer. Can someone tell me what type of check ride, what type of exam and who would be the examiner?

Thanks for the help,

I would start by contacting RA Aus or a local school. If you are building an aircraft you probably know if you need to deal with RaAus or CASA, depending on the type of aircraft. If you are moving from GA to RA you may need some training, minimum 5 hours I believe. I think the GA exams will apply to RA. The low inertia aircraft handle differently tomthat commercial one you were flying. Goodmluck.

Ignore what I said, I see you are in the USA, and I gave you an Australian answer.

That's ok, I should have said where I live. I take it you live and fly in Australia. A place I want to go someday.

Thanks for your help,

jr

Hi,I haven't flown for a several years. I have a Commercial and Instument ratings. I plan to fly Sport Pilot when I finish my airplane this Summer. Can someone tell me what type of check ride, what type of exam and who would be the examiner?

Thanks for the help,

If my experience helps, and you've been flying heavies, then get at least a few hours to get back into the LOW INERTIA regime, and LOADS OF LANDINGS. I got my PPL back after flying cargo ( Daks, 727s & 707s ) and nearly killed myself in a Cessna 182, after a one hour check ride and only three landings. I thought I'd nailed it, but I was badly wrong. ( I was probably not that good a light aircraft driver in the first place !! ) I was amazed and humbled rapidly as to how I'd almost completely lost it as far as the lack of inertia situation is concerned, I can't emphasise this enough. Heavies really DO blunt your sharp edges.

And SPORT aircraft have even less inertia than the trusty spamcans of course ! ! !

Steady as she goes.

Phil

• Agree 1

Flare height, lightness of the controls and rate of speed bleed off are the main considerations coming from heavies. plus the more "mini" mum the plane is, the more effort you have to put into flying it, especially with really light wing loadings in windy conditions. Nev

Thank you guys. Yes I will be flying the lighter two seaters, before my check ride. What kind of check ride and who will give it to me? I have been told different ways and would like the answer from someone in the know.

Thanks again

Guest Nobody
Thank you guys. Yes I will be flying the lighter two seaters, before my check ride. What kind of check ride and who will give it to me? I have been told different ways and would like the answer from someone in the know.Thanks again

Ok this question has two parts to the answer. What's needed legally per the faa regulations and what you should probably should do.

Firstly, the legally required part. You will need to do a flight review with an instructor to meet the requirements to use your commercial license. Per 61.56 This must be a minimum of 1 hour ground and 1 hour in the air but can be more at the discretion of the instructor. It will be more time if you haven't flown for a few years and need a bit of retraining. It doesn't need t be with an examiner. Once the instructor is happy they will endorse your logbook and you are good to go. You could do this flight review in any aircraft class/type you are rated for but it would probably make sense to do it on what you already have the most time. Refer to the table in 61.303. This will tell you what aircraft you can fly and what class of medical you might need once you have done this. You will be able to fly any LSA if you hold a USA drivers license.

With this done though you are unlikely to find anyone to rent you a lsa without a further check flight. You could fly your own plane but would likely struggle to insure it. Finding somewhere with an instructor who can train you in the type you are building or a plane with similar flight characteristics would be highly recommended but not legally required.

Nobody