Need advice for the Rock and Olgas

Doing some planning for my upcoming trip to the west coast next month, stopping briefly at Uluru for fuel.

I viewed the scenic route from the strip and seems through the lack of identifiable landmarks I would soon get off course easily. Tear drop turns, ongoing and outgoing track is very close to one another in places, although choppers fly at 500' lower. Guess I will have to follow someone with the same IAS if possible

Would it be possible to set up the gps to do the route?

I did an air tour of the Bungle Bungles about 4 years ago and lost the track, pretty hairy really, and this seems worse.

Any help would be appreciated.

Phil.

• Like 1

Guest Howard Hughes

The 'rock scenic' is fairly easy to do, you won't need a GPS, the landmarks are pretty easy to find! 014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

The 'rock scenic' is fairly easy to do, you won't need a GPS, the landmarks are pretty easy to find! 014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

Thanks HH.

I had another look today on a different map and the landmarks look more defined

Thanks for the reply

Phil

Guest Howard Hughes

You're welcome!

I gotta admit I have only been to the Bungles once, but also found it a lot harder to follow the scenic there than at 'the rock'. Have a great time!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Phil, I am interested in your proposed route as a Melb- Perth trip is on my to- do list. Isn't Uluru abit out of the way??? ie a fair way north of Loxton, regards Matt Walsh (Gazelle 3478, Penfield Victoria)

On the tray to Ayers Rock at the moment. Left Latrobe Valley last week. Went via renmark rawnsley Leigh creek William creek and at coober pedy at the moment onto curtin springs and the rock in the morning

On the tray to Ayers Rock at the moment. Left Latrobe Valley last week. Went via renmark rawnsley Leigh creek William creek and at coober pedy at the moment onto curtin springs and the rock in the morning

Hi Matt,

I do not intend to get to Perth area. My aim is Karratha.

Some of the return trip may be of interest to you though.

Kalgoolie and pretty much follow the rail line to Forrest as I have been told there are heaps of run ways for access to locomotive breakdowns on the section.

Then Euchla ceduna, Port Lincoln, following the coast for most of the way. You may want to miss Lincoln and aim for Whyalla and cross to Port Pirie rather than island hop via Kargaroo island, Goolwa etc.

Give me prod at the end of May and I will be able to fill you in more accurately

Phil:plane:

Hi Crashley

Wouldn't mind a report from the rock fly experience when you get time.

It looked a bit daunting first look but others say no worries due to land marks.

Cheers and hope you have a great trip

Phil

Hi went to the rock yesterday no problems just followed procedures in the ersa at kings canyon at the moment heading for cadney station tomorrow will post all details and photos when we get home

From the ground I found Kings Canyon (and the Olgas for that matter) far more interesting and beautiful than The Rock. Cant wait to get back there with some wings.

Sweet runway at YKCS, nearly endoed one of their quad bikes when she got the speed wobbles up at full noise half way along the strip. Camel burgers are recommended also.

Hi went to the rock yesterday no problems just followed procedures in the ersa at kings canyon at the moment heading for cadney station tomorrow will post all details and photos when we get home

Thanks, so I am not to worry! We're there any other traffic doing the tour?

Re Cadney. Stopped overnight once and enjoyed the room, meal and cold refreshments

Caravan park next door if camping.

I lost a few litres of fuel overnight due to the uneven parking spot I chose.

Looking forward to your report later.

Safe flying 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif

Phil

.:rotary: