Sailplane Spin training for RAA pilot

Today was the start to some further aviating knowledge. I have ventured to Southern Riverina Gliding Club at YTOC to begin spin training in the club two seat trainer. Certainly gets the heart racing as you pull hard back on the elevator to stall then boot in full aileron and rudder as you feel like nearly falling out of your seat as you drop into the spin then watching the earth rush towards you below. Bring on tomorrow !!

• Like 3

I started flying in gliders (and still fly them more regularly then RAA), and I really do think that all pilots should experience a spin and learn the recovery first hand rather than just reading about what the recovery process should be, because there is a massive difference in practical knowledge of the recovery versus theoretical knowledge and reading it out of a book because you cant properly practice it in an RAA aircraft. I like to think that learning and subsequently practicing spin recoveries prior to going solo (and after for that matter) has made me a safer pilot, and should the worst happen and I inadvertently a spin I could safely recover from it with minimum height loss.

I saw a glider at Waikerie that had just been spun into the ground. Looked all intact but quivvered like jelly when you tried to move it.

Same thing happened to me once when my wife kicked me out of bed. bounce.gif.3516b5f7197d1d6889168640af67e2f6.gif 087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif

Alan.

• Haha 2

...I really do think that all pilots should experience a spin and learn the recovery first hand rather than just reading about what the recovery process should be, because there is a massive difference in practical knowledge of the recovery versus theoretical knowledge and reading it out of a book because you cant properly practice it in an RAA aircraft...

I fully agree, Nathan. Gliders are good learning tools. Spinning a couple of sailplanes with long slender wings is educational, but no preparation for the sudden, violent wing drops our little aircraft are capable of.

• Agree 1