G'Day - new to recreational flying - but looking to catch up with old friends

Ricochet

Welcome Rico! Which part of the USA.... what do you fly?

Hi Gnarly

I'm just out of Phoenix central in Arizona in desert country - hot and getting hotter as we head toward summer. Haven't flown for a little while now - need to get my medical done but have been too involved with work and traveling around the state but I'll get there eventually! Thanks for the response - I look forward to catching up with others now on this site.

Eric from Berwick!Remember me - I used to fly the Pitts into Casey quite often.

I lived in the USA for a few years in the mid '90s too.

Hi

I sure do remember and its also interesting that you recall "Eric from Berwick" - I had thought of using that for my member name and maybe should have. I was back at Casey on a trip about a year ago and noticed that even among the building development there are still the two old hangars at the back of what was the airfield. Thanks for your response and I look forward to keeping in touch and to hearing from others on this site.

Cheers

Hi Ric. . . . . .

I flew with "Baron von Eric" a couple of times from Casey, If we are talking about the same guy. . .. bleeding nutter !! . . . . .made me airsick on a couple of occasions flying a Victa V115 Airtourer, with which he did some things which almost certainly were not in the POH. . . . . GEE force appeared to have no apparent effect on him at all, but all in all,. . . he was a really nice bloke. In those days, I thought I was a pretty good pilot, doing aeros in the Fuji FA200/180, but that bloke, . . .as I said, could fly the pants off me, he was an absolutely natural pilot, if indeed they really exist, but if they do,. . . He was definitely one of them !! He used to chuck that Victa about in such a manner that, on one occasion, I had to tell him to get me back on the ground quickly,. . . .I'd NEVER thrown up in an aeroplane before in my life, but that day, I seriously felt like a pair of old undercrackers tossed about in a bloody washing machine. . . . . It took several cups of black coffee and one of Elsa's world- famous home made burgers with the lot before I regained my usual composure. . . . OH,. . . . . and, by the way,. . . . WELCOME to the best forum around here. . . .

Phil

Hi Ric. . . . . .I flew with "Baron von Eric" a couple of times from Casey, If we are talking about the same guy. . .. bleeding nutter !! . . . . .made me airsick on a couple of occasions flying a Victa V115 Airtourer, with which he did some things which almost certainly were not in the POH. . . . . GEE force appeared to have no apparent effect on him at all, but all in all,. . . he was a really nice bloke. In those days, I thought I was a pretty good pilot, doing aeros in the Fuji FA200/180, but that bloke, . . .as I said, could fly the pants off me, he was an absolutely natural pilot, if indeed they really exist, but if they do,. . . He was definitely one of them !! He used to chuck that Victa about in such a manner that, on one occasion, I had to tell him to get me back on the ground quickly,. . . .I'd NEVER thrown up in an aeroplane before in my life, but that day, I seriously felt like a pair of old undercrackers tossed about in a bloody washing machine. . . . . It took several cups of black coffee and one of Elsa's world- famous home made burgers with the lot before I regained my usual composure. . . . OH,. . . . . and, by the way,. . . . WELCOME to the best forum around here. . . .

Phil

Hi Phil

Thanks for remembering even if it was that I made you sick!! I visited the old Casey site on a trip to Melbourne in 2011 and even though it is built up the old maintenance hangar and another smaller hangar are still there at the back of the airfield site. I have been living in the USA for several years now - currently in Arizona. I see you live in England (is that good or bad??) anyhow I flew there quite a bit several years ago out of Seething Airfield in Norfolk in a DHC1 Chipmunk - was a little limited at times due to weather and also the several US air bases in that proximity made for interesting traffic.

I am looking forward to hearing from anyone else from the Casey era etc.

Thanks again for your response and here is a reminder for you 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif

images.jpg.ebdf970d07fecf3ab1d67b82f9453c41.jpg

Regards

Eric from Berwick

I did a bit of flying in the Fuji, Roy Goon checked me out. Flew Airtourers for a long while before getting into the Pitts.

I still see some from the old Casey days. Recently bumped into ex-CFI Brian.

Hi PhilThanks for remembering even if it was that I made you sick!! I visited the old Casey site on a trip to Melbourne in 2011 and even though it is built up the old maintenance hangar and another smaller hangar are still there at the back of the airfield site. I have been living in the USA for several years now - currently in Arizona. I see you live in England (is that good or bad??) anyhow I flew there quite a bit several years ago out of Seething Airfield in Norfolk in a DHC1 Chipmunk - was a little limited at times due to weather and also the several US air bases in that proximity made for interesting traffic.

I am looking forward to hearing from anyone else from the Casey era etc.

Thanks again for your response and here is a reminder for you 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif

Regards

Eric from Berwick

Struth Mate, GOOD to hear that you're still around, From memory, the Victa we used was VH-ASI, could be wrong, but my logbooks for that period were lost in the freight when we emigrated to the UK in 1983. . . . Along with my complete record collection, and my treasured 1960 Les Paul guitar ! - dunno which I missed the most, probably the guitar as, . . if I still had that I'd flog it for around 25,000 bucks and used the dough to re - re emigrate to OZ ! ! !

I've bumped into several old "CASEYITES" on this forum, they're a really friendly and helpful mob, ( even to Pommies ) And through these contacts, I found out that David Squirell was still breathing too !

And in response to your query about living in England . . . don't bother. . . IT'S BAD. ( ! )

Keep posting Eric, and welcome to the forum.

Phil

• Haha 1

Yeah Phil, I caught up with Dave Squirrell a few months ago by email and also spoke Colonel Keith Hatfield, Elsa's better half. Keith is getting on and lives in a retirement home - spoke with Elsa and she is doing well. I worked for them running the flying school and they were both great survivors int the aviation business even though the crunch came when the Airfield closed down.

The Victa we used was VH-RSI and I did a total of 186 hours in that particular aircraft - its a wonder it held together all that time considering what we did to it!!

If you hear from any other folks from the past send them my way - would love to catch up.

Anyhow I'll keep posting on here.

Thanks again

EFB

Hi Eric,

Thank you for responding, I'm sad to hear that Keith is in a care home . . .I hope he is still OK, and still with us. My Father went that way and didn't know me at all for the last few years,. . . very sad.

I'm glad to know that Elsa is still about too. Yeah,. . . .RSI. . . . nice little aircraft that, I've already posted somewhere on this site about that day I took someone out for their FIRST ever flight in that and being Really professional, . . .forgot to untie one of the wingtip tiedown cords, resulting in one wing very low and one mainwheel off the deck, 180 degrees from where I began to taxy. . . . with Dick Donnely ( Gawd rest him ) rolling on the grass helpless with laughter. . . . you may remember that we broadcast his ashes over his beloved Casey Airfield a short time after that. . . .Why do all the brilliant CHARACTERS seem to die young I wonder. . . . MIND YOU - - - You're still around mate !

Interesting to learn that you ran the Groupair flying school for a while,. . I left for sweatier climes to Indonesia, where I slipped over to the dark side and worked in cargo flying for a few years, I think, at the time I left, Helen was still operating the office, and the instructors were still Dave Squirrell and Kevin, ( surname escapes me. . ) Lofty Mason ( ground school ) and another really nice bloke, but again,. . .the memory is fading steadily I'm afraid, ( 63 in June 2013. . . . I'm amazed I'm still here too ! ) I do remember that one part time instructor was busted, after an argument with his girlfriend, got pissed and flew a beechcraft four seater ( Sundowner ? ) from Moorabbin, around the city ( Melb ) after dark,. . .below the level of the tall buildings. . . . Do you remember that one ?? After DCA nailed him, they found out that he'd been sitting commercial pilot examinations for OTHER PILOTS at 250 bucks a throw. . . . . I love aviation don't you ?,. . .it's full of interesting people. . .

In the UK, I have a UK PPL ( G.A.) only now, I gave up my commercial tickets and most of my ratings some time ago, as they are extremely expensive to maintain in the UK if you are not involved in the industry. . .which I no longer am, and I tend to fly more microlights and LSA aircraft nowadays, nicer people, more fun, slightly fewer regulations. . . . but I can still fly anything with one or two engines, Vfr / Imc up to 5,700 Kilos whilst flying the microlight / LSA stuff on an attached rating. Quite useful that, other than the fact that the PPL speed limit is 250 Knots . . . (Awwww what a shame ! ) As long as I can continue passing the CAA class 2 medical I'm happy. . . !

Remind me of some more names, OH YES, grey matter stirring, one of the other instructors was a really nice bloke called John Hewat, d'you remember him, ? he was going off to fly big silver paraffin budgies I believe, . . .whether he did, I do not know.

Phil

pissed and flew a beechcraft four seater ( Sundowner ? ) from Moorabbin, around after dark,. . .below the level of the tall buildings. . . .. . .Phil

Front page of the newspapers the next day - from memory reports of loops and barrel rolls too. It was from Essendon - I saw the aeroplane afterwards - bent wing.

one of the other instructors was a really nice bloke called John Hewat

Phil

Last saw John instructing at RVAC a few years ago.

Hi Eric,Thank you for responding, I'm sad to hear that Keith is in a care home . . .I hope he is still OK, and still with us. My Father went that way and didn't know me at all for the last few years,. . . very sad.

I'm glad to know that Elsa is still about too. Yeah,. . . .RSI. . . . nice little aircraft that, I've already posted somewhere on this site about that day I took someone out for their FIRST ever flight in that and being Really professional, . . .forgot to untie one of the wingtip tiedown cords, resulting in one wing very low and one mainwheel off the deck, 180 degrees from where I began to taxy. . . . with Dick Donnely ( Gawd rest him ) rolling on the grass helpless with laughter. . . . you may remember that we broadcast his ashes over his beloved Casey Airfield a short time after that. . . .Why do all the brilliant CHARACTERS seem to die young I wonder. . . . MIND YOU - - - You're still around mate !

Interesting to learn that you ran the Groupair flying school for a while,. . I left for sweatier climes to Indonesia, where I slipped over to the dark side and worked in cargo flying for a few years, I think, at the time I left, Helen was still operating the office, and the instructors were still Dave Squirrell and Kevin, ( surname escapes me. . ) Lofty Mason ( ground school ) and another really nice bloke, but again,. . .the memory is fading steadily I'm afraid, ( 63 in June 2013. . . . I'm amazed I'm still here too ! ) I do remember that one part time instructor was busted, after an argument with his girlfriend, got pissed and flew a beechcraft four seater ( Sundowner ? ) from Moorabbin, around the city ( Melb ) after dark,. . .below the level of the tall buildings. . . . Do you remember that one ?? After DCA nailed him, they found out that he'd been sitting commercial pilot examinations for OTHER PILOTS at 250 bucks a throw. . . . . I love aviation don't you ?,. . .it's full of interesting people. . .

In the UK, I have a UK PPL ( G.A.) only now, I gave up my commercial tickets and most of my ratings some time ago, as they are extremely expensive to maintain in the UK if you are not involved in the industry. . .which I no longer am, and I tend to fly more microlights and LSA aircraft nowadays, nicer people, more fun, slightly fewer regulations. . . . but I can still fly anything with one or two engines, Vfr / Imc up to 5,700 Kilos whilst flying the microlight / LSA stuff on an attached rating. Quite useful that, other than the fact that the PPL speed limit is 250 Knots . . . (Awwww what a shame ! ) As long as I can continue passing the CAA class 2 medical I'm happy. . . !

Remind me of some more names, OH YES, grey matter stirring, one of the other instructors was a really nice bloke called John Hewat, d'you remember him, ? he was going off to fly big silver paraffin budgies I believe, . . .whether he did, I do not know.

Phil

Hey Thanks Phil for stirring up my memory.

OK some names while I think of them.

Bill Campbell-Hicks - my main instructor when I started and sent me on 1st solo

Kevin Moore that you mentioned above

John Hewitt - married Helen

Lofty Mason

Bruce Wilson - no relation

Harold Bell

Reg Ross

Dick Humphrey

Peter Murphy

David Brookes

Alan Baskett

John Lyndsey - examiner of airmen

Barry Coutts - since passed away

Nat Joseph

Tim Ridge

Mike Bayne

Peter Dow

Albert Mulhauser

Rob "Bugsy" Payne

If you can add anything to any of them or any more names.

Front page of the newspapers the next day - from memory reports of loops and barrel rolls too. It was from Essendon - I saw the aeroplane afterwards - bent wing.Last saw John instructing at RVAC a few years ago.

Thanks for that DJP,. . . . The bloke had been checking me out for a night rating at Moorabbin the week before the incident,. . . I remember now that he was flying from Essendon that night, I was there quite often visiting Alan Baskett, who was instructing from there at the time. I'm wracking my brain to recall the name of the flying school he had, I actually MADE the signage for it . . . ! got a photo somewhere in the archives, but ( and this has been posted on this forum in the past ) I saw him on the evening that he was going to check someone out on a Partenavia P68 twin, but after dark. He offered me a passenger ride if I wanted it, but I had to get back to work. I was pushing hacks at the time to try and save some extra dollars for my instrument rating course.

This was lucky for ME,. . . as you probably remember the accident where the P68 trim developed a fault and went fully nose down. I can't remember whether this was during a planned go around, or a normal takeoff, but the aircraft crashed into the roof of a house on the other side of the Tullamarine freeway across the road from the airfield boundary fence,. . . and the whole family in the house, apart from Dad, were killed as a result. Alan luckily survived, and I think the student did also,, not sure about the one passenger in the aircraft, I seem to remember that one of the crew got brain damage as a result of the accident. . . . Desperately sad story anyway.

Was RVAC at Moorabbin,. . . ? . ( grey matter failure. . .)

Thanks for the memories anyway.

Phil

Hey Thanks Phil for stirring up my memory.OK some names while I think of them.

Bill Campbell-Hicks - my main instructor when I started and sent me on 1st solo

Kevin Moore that you mentioned above Flew with Kev, Bit military in his technique, but a damned good instructor.

John Hewitt - married Helen Didn't know they married, good news, both very nice people.

Lofty Mason Brilliant Bloke. . . the best NAV instructor I've ever met !

Bruce Wilson - no relation

Harold Bell Was he the guy who punched a DCA examiner for pulling the power on the Apache just before the power lines on approach to runway 30 one day ? ? ?

Reg Ross

Dick Humphrey Knew Dick. . .

Peter Murphy

David Brookes "Brooksy " . . . was Helen's partner, but I guess it dodn't work out. . .

Alan Baskett What MORE can I say about that man . . .? Lovely chap, sent me solo in 6.5 hours ( crazy ! )

John Lyndsey - examiner of airmen I remember John, but he wasn't an instructor when I was at Berwick. . .

Barry Coutts - since passed away BARRY. . . I did a lot of business with him,. . . .and his company "Volkspower" he had a heart bypass whilst I was still in OZ ( sadly missed )

Nat Joseph

Tim Ridge

Mike Bayne

Peter Dow

Albert Mulhauser

Rob "Bugsy" Payne

If you can add anything to any of them or any more names.

I really don't remember the rest of the names Eric,. . . . some may well have arrived after I departed. . . .

Thanks for the list though,. . . . I just love the memories, ( not much left at my age [ cue violin background music. . . ! ] )

How about Gerry,. . . . damn,. . .can't remember his surname, I helped him restore an Auster, and he chopped most of his fingers off in a circular saw in the maintenance hangar during the time we did that. . . . English bloke with long blonde hair and an "Oxford" university accent. . . . ? I've got a photo of him somewhere, when we flew "It Will Kill" . . .Keith's C-210 VH-IWK for weekends away a few times. . .you know. . .the one with the dodgy undercarriage solenoid. . . ?? 105 pumps on the damn handle to lower the gear ? ?

Phil

I really don't remember the rest of the names Eric,. . . . some may well have arrived after I departed. . . .Thanks for the list though,. . . . I just love the memories, ( not much left at my age [ cue violin background music. . . ! ] )

How about Gerry,. . . . damn,. . .can't remember his surname, I helped him restore an Auster, and he chopped most of his fingers off in a circular saw in the maintenance hangar during the time we did that. . . . English bloke with long blonde hair and an "Oxford" university accent. . . . ? I've got a photo of him somewhere, when we flew "It Will Kill" . . .Keith's C-210 VH-IWK for weekends away a few times. . .you know. . .the one with the dodgy undercarriage solenoid. . . ?? 105 pumps on the damn handle to lower the gear ? ?

Phil

Yeah I remember Gerry but can't put a last name to him. I had forgotten about the Partenavia accident that Alan was in - time fades the memories.

EFB