How did you get your RAAus Human Factors endorsement ?

Guest Crezzi

How did you get your RAAus Human Factors endorsement ?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. How did you get your RAAus Human Factors endorsement ?

• I simply passed the exam
    • I studied myself and then passed the exam
    • I attended a HF course and passed the exam
    • I attended an approved RAAus HF course
    • I had previous qualifications which met the requirements
    • Other (please specify)

I think RAA missed a good opportunity with Human Factors. Approach was far too simplistic. The exam had answers that contradicted the health education messages from reputable health organisations and relied on you having read the text. No one told us there was a text, and there was one term mentioned in the text/exam and in no other HF books I had ever read.

I had read extensively on HF and found it a fascinating subject which greatly added to my knowledge of how I would deal with a crisis, how others react & interact, the rouge pilot, sensory illusions, instrument layouts, chains of errors, etc. I did a lot of this with my HF in my PPL and continued on after.

The people who got something out of it were the ones who did a group session with their school and covered subjects of importance that were ignored by the exam and text.

Sue

I was annoyed that it was "Sue" who made so many HF mistakes in the text and featured in the exam.

• Like 1

I had previous, but did the second course at Canberra, (which i think was all instructors.) and which I considered unsuitable in it's current form ( then). It was changed but the implimentation of it leaves much to be desired. I have had plenty to say on appropriate occasions.

An opportunity lost and some unnecessary "anti the worth of the subject" generated. It's an ongoing thing and I hope the damage is rectified somewhere along the way. Nev

Guest Crezzi
I'm not sure of the difference between choice 3 and 4. I did my HF with you, so whatever that was.

Some people (mostly instructors) did a 2 day ASFA Generic Pilot Proficiency Program organised by RAAus - as an approved course this didn't didn't require an exam pass to meet the requirements (in fact the exam probably wasn't even written at the time).

You did my Caboolture Microlights / GoFly Aviation course which isn't RAAus approved hence the need to also pass the exam

Cheers

John

on the day that i completed my pilots certificate the CFI was filling out the paperwork and he asked me if i had done the HF course. i said yes and that i had done it as part of my PPL theory exams which i had passed previously. he then said to me have i completed the RA HF course and i said no. he said to me that he could not complete the paperwork for the PC until i sat and passed the exam. so i sat it then and there and passed with flying colours. paperwork was promptely completed. since then i have also completed and passed the cpl HF course. like VZ said above, it is a great subject and really opens your eyes up - makes you think about the consequences before you act. more emphasis on it i say.

F

Human Factors has been a theory subject for obtaining a PPL in NZ since 1993 but for some reason this is not recognised by RA-Aus although it is by CASA when converting to an Australian PPL so I did the course at the now defunct Skyfox Flight Training School in Caloundra. I can't think of anything in the course that was new or different from the PPL course, though it was less extensive. While I found the subject quite interesting, I reckon 90% of it could be lumped under the heading "Good Airmanship and Common Sense" something that instructors have been trying to instill in students since flight training began.

As a subject, explaining the things like stress, fatigue, noise, vibration, fitness, food & drink, drugs, temperature, hypoxia, light levels, spacial disorientation, the list goes on, is extremely valuable, as when an understanding of such things is gained, it may be the difference between a good decision and disaster.