Water temp & EGT: Do they have any correlation?

Guest Maj Millard

No 95 octane should do the job Idi , should always put in some new fuel in, if older fuel in tank, some fuels don't last too long mixed with oil.........................................Maj...014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

(please can you tell me how to change my name on the forum? I didn't found the option in the account preferences! 035_doh.gif.37538967d128bb0e6085e5fccd66c98b.gif hehe...)

First do a search on the user name you want in the Members section (search box is on the right) and if it is available, start a Private Conversation (PM) with me advising what name you want and I will change it for you

• Like 1

Rotax liquid cooled aircraft engines DO recommend the oils used for AIR cooled two strokes. The difference relates to temps found in the ring lands on the piston and apparently they are high enough to make the oil suitable. I would use an oils that Rotax recommend. I don't think that is causing your problems but ring land carboning is not a good thing. Nev

Guest Maj Millard

The best oil for Rotax 2-strokes and the one recommended by Rotax is Castrol 2TT..red. To use full sythethic is to waste your money as it is not needed, and may well cause problems. When decoking an engine that has been run on synthetic, you can forget trying to decoke the rings and piston, just remove them and throw them in the bin. About $80 a pop for two new pistons, and rings may be extra. The synthetic carbon build up will be hard as a rock and extremly time consuming to remove. In many cases the top (dykes) ring will be close to coked solid. This oil may burn well in motorikes spinning 12 thou, but doesn't when you sitting most of the time at 6 thou.

If however the engine has been run on 2TT, the soft carbon comes off beautifully, and you can have everything cleaned up, and back together in a couple of hours. You can easily and safly remove the rings, and using a bit of broken old ring, the carbon cleans out of the ring lands easily.

Full synthetic oil is also hydroscopic, meaning it will absorb water, leading to no internal rust protection. I have seen cranks covered in rust in a synthetic oiled engine Vs mineral oil which has none for the same hours.......................................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Nev, Maj... thanks for so much useful tips, I'm learning here more than in few years I've been in this great world of ultralight! I've searched on the web and it seems that the Castrol 2TT red can be obtained (many things from abroad here in Argentina are hard to get since our nice government closed pretty much all imports), I'll get myself a box of 12 bottles and hope to burn them off quickly :)