Ochid Beach overnight accomodation recommendation?

rdarby

I've been to Orchid Beach a couple of times just to land, have a coffee and fly home. But I want to do a weekend stop with a friend. I figure it's a relatively short flight so easy to arrange and something that I can make happen. My long trips keep getting interrupted by weather or work!

Does anyone know of close accommodation that is suitable (affordable) for an overnight stay? I've done a Google search and it's all large holiday houses with minimum 3 to 7 night stays.

I don't want to camp, but would love a rustic cottage type of thing with 2 rooms.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Ryan

If you get no joy at Orchid Beach I can recommend Great Keppel Island.

They have echo lodges, fancy name for 5 star tents on timber floors.

We have been before and going again. Really enjoyed everything about the place.

Geoff is the guy who runs the echo lodge.

Cheers Doug McCullough

Thanks Doug. How far is it in reality? It looked really far from Caboolture on a map. Landing on an island is really attractive. How long does it take to get there, given I cruise at a pacey 85kts!

No worries, it was just a thought.

It is approximately 282nm (136nm YCAB to YBUD; 130nm to Mill Iron, just east of Rocky and then 16nm to Great Keppel Island) There is a YouTube video of us landing at Great Keppel Island last August in the video section of Recreational Flying.

I also fly out of Caboolture in a Tecnam Sierra.

I must admit that the last trip there was for 4 day weekend.

We love it and will be going back.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Doug, both Val and I are in the early stages of planning a Island holiday experience in Our Savvy (Savannah) in approx September from Caboolture to Orchid Beach for say 1-2 days and then up the coast possibly stopping over either at Old Station during a Kintiki tour visit or somewhere enroute that you may suggest and then onto Great Keppel for at least 2 days, all weather permitting.

We were then possibly returning home coming down the west route via Dingo, then possibly Cracow,Wondoan and finally Murgon for their breakfast weekend before coming home to Caboolture.

It has been some 8 years since I have flown passengers into Great Keppel for a holiday/honeymoon and like you both loved it, at that time it was in the resort.

I am open to any suggestions, ideas you may have in assisting us planning this trip and of course invite you both to join us, I see you suggest the Eco Lodge which is very close to the airfield and sounds and looks good etc.

Regards

Graham and Val.

Hi Graham, just caught up with your post as I have spent the last two days doing my 100 hourly as I depart Friday week the 21st June for our two week tour to Broome and back with 12 other aircraft.

I would be more than willing to assist with a flight plan but it may have to wait until I return on the 7th July as I am fully booked up until I depart.

When I return we should make a time to meet over a cup of coffee at Caboolture.

Please send me a reminder email on or after the 8th July.

Cheers

I've been to Orchid Beach a couple of times just to land, have a coffee and fly home. But I want to do a weekend stop with a friend. I figure it's a relatively short flight so easy to arrange and something that I can make happen. My long trips keep getting interrupted by weather or work!Does anyone know of close accommodation that is suitable (affordable) for an overnight stay? I've done a Google search and it's all large holiday houses with minimum 3 to 7 night stays.

I don't want to camp, but would love a rustic cottage type of thing with 2 rooms.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Ryan

Try a Caravan at the Straddie Aero Club at Dunwich on Stradbroke Island or check out Straddie Sales and Rentals for Cottages at Amity or Point Lookout.

Hi Doug, both Val and I are in the early stages of planning a Island holiday experience in Our Savvy (Savannah) in approx September from Caboolture to Orchid Beach for say 1-2 days and then up the coast possibly stopping over either at Old Station during a Kintiki tour visit or somewhere enroute that you may suggest and then onto Great Keppel for at least 2 days, all weather permitting.We were then possibly returning home coming down the west route via Dingo, then possibly Cracow,Wondoan and finally Murgon for their breakfast weekend before coming home to Caboolture.

It has been some 8 years since I have flown passengers into Great Keppel for a holiday/honeymoon and like you both loved it, at that time it was in the resort.

I am open to any suggestions, ideas you may have in assisting us planning this trip and of course invite you both to join us, I see you suggest the Eco Lodge which is very close to the airfield and sounds and looks good etc.

Regards

Graham and Val.

Puk, happy to help you out mate, just drop by the hangar or our new commercial site at Hangar 102.

• 1 month later...
Puk, happy to help you out mate, just drop by the hangar or our new commercial site at Hangar 102.

Hi Graham, back from our trip to Broome. Will be making a post on the YCAB forum soon.

Just started organising a weekend at Great Keppel for Friday 13th to Monday 16th September.

I will be up at CAboolture this Friday and will call around to hanger 102 and see if we can catch up.

Cheers

Hi Doug, both Val and I are in the early stages of planning a Island holiday experience in Our Savvy (Savannah) in approx September from Caboolture to Orchid Beach for say 1-2 days and then up the coast possibly stopping over either at Old Station during a Kintiki tour visit or somewhere enroute that you may suggest and then onto Great Keppel for at least 2 days, all weather permitting.We were then possibly returning home coming down the west route via Dingo, then possibly Cracow,Wondoan and finally Murgon for their breakfast weekend before coming home to Caboolture.

Regards

Graham and Val.

Hi Graham, back from our trip to Broome. Will be making a post on the YCAB forum soon.

Just started organising a weekend at Great Keppel for Friday 13th to Monday 16th September.

Ballpoint 246niner also replied to you and I think I have replied to him instead of you saying that I will be up at Caboolture this Friday and that I would call around to hanger 102.

Nevermind, if you are still looking for some assistance in planning, please let me know.

Cheers

Welcome back, look forward to catching up, what time Friday will you be at hangar 102, Caboolture ?

I have to drop off my car at Northside 4x4 at 0800. Not sure how long they will need it. It is just for an inspection. It may only be an hour but if it it going to be longer I was going to walk down.

If you would car to email to me on [email protected] your email address and mobile phone number I can call you on the morning.

I keep my plane in hanger 68.

Cheers Doug McCullough