Cheetah Sierra

kfowler

Agreed Chris. Garry is starting on that within the month.

He is going to start producing his own molded poly one-piece canopy.

They will look much better. The new ones will go on the Sierra and on mine when ready.

Meanwhile, nearly finished my temporary one yesterday. The lines will be quite nice.

[ATTACH]3963.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3964.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3965.vB[/ATTACH]

P1010485.jpg.156d66252191a35ed2b9a27b12463015.jpg

P1010486.jpg.481f8bf3f096750e014c55faa1f654e7.jpg

P1010487.jpg.664c4d6da433f4f36d349d27b661fdbe.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm Looks nice. I'll be watching this one.

Was looking at the sonex with Jab 6, but looks a bit of a squeeze for someone at 6'3" like me. Good US$ exchange at the moment though.

Best to buy aussie but isn't it?

Regards.

RJM

Are the wings removable, does any one know?

Absolutely removable. Put them back on in 5 minutes too.

Garry Morgan definitely deserves support, and this plane should rock.

With any luck (and permission from his wife) he should be able to get it to the Echuca fly-in weekend after next. I'm hoping to bring his old Cheetah because mine won't quite be ready.

I was going to post some interior pics tonight. Didn't realise Garry had sent some.

It looks fantastic in the flesh. Feels really comfy too.

I'm going to use the same guy. Quality work.

The engine still has a couple of issues, the prop needs more work, and there are still 2 vital bits of anti-drag to fit (undercarriage arm fairing and wing fences), so it will go quite a bit faster yet. It won't make it to Echuca though. Garry might still make it in the Cheetah, so I've had to line up a Jab. The weather doesn't look promising though.

I'll post those pics tonightish.

Ross

Here's some more shots of the Sierra's quality upholstery.

[ATTACH]4159.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4160.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4161.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4162.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4163.vB[/ATTACH]

This local Taree upholsterer does beautiful work. He gets my business too.

P1010491.jpg.14be3df9185df21cadf71f751a983a23.jpg

P1010493.jpg.3a8ac4ee7126d88ba58b5a5fd3476c4d.jpg

P1010495.jpg.a26fd653df9f1027b76b1e76a7d692f1.jpg

P1010496.jpg.847afb484540d93edbdf44fe63fe4d89.jpg

P1010497.jpg.fed7c5b339e8c11e12ce2114b1cfc96c.jpg

I think Garry plans to start working on them next. There will be some development time and perfecting the technique he plans to use (secret), so probably some months away.

Shape = sleek, but also under development. Probably be able to shape to order too.

Attachment I think will be to the same kind of aluminium frame as the current ones. I'll check.

They will look a whole lot sleeker and smoother and really set the planes off.

While it was extremely disappointing to not be able to go to Echuca, it meant I could become the first non-Garry-Morgan to fly the Sierra.

It is beautiful to fly. Very precise feel, but mellow. No play in the stick, direct response but will climb or turn very solidly and gracefully unless you indicate otherwise. It feels rock solid in turns and handles turbulence really well. Unfortunately there was so much turbulence that we couldn't really push it and mostly flew down around 90 - 110 knots. It easily went 120 knots though. Not bad for 2 up on a humid day. The undercarriage fairing and wing fences aren't fitted yet. Should speed it up some more.

Even when throttled to 2100 rpm it still pulled 90 - 100 knots.

Unfortunately, I was having such a good time I forgot to take photos until joining circuit. You get the idea though.

[ATTACH]4216.vB[/ATTACH] Slowing down and bumping around a bit. Garry has the hairier legs.

[ATTACH]4217.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4218.vB[/ATTACH] He's probably prettier though.

[ATTACH]4219.vB[/ATTACH] The winglets look sexy from inside.

[ATTACH]4220.vB[/ATTACH] Still hawking the Cheetah though. Lindsay came for a fly and is buying one.

It does seem a little harder to land than the Cheetah. Probably just needs getting used to. Although, he is going to put flaps on the next one - after beefing a few things up to accomodate them.

I was expecting more acceleration on roll too (my 1st time behind a 6 cyl). Garry has gone back to the original prop. The over-revving he thought it caused turned out to be a mis-reading tacho. The prop is a good balance between climb and speed.

Flyer40 - he has started on the incubator for the poly canopies already. Quite the bit of kit. Oh yeah. The frame might be the existing aluminium, but other things are under consideration.

P1010522.jpg.16e30e1419bf8932faef91ec07c83df7.jpg

P1010525.jpg.8d83d243b6ba5238aa7a28f71243737d.jpg

P1010529.jpg.50e97d36aa6690c118fb0bc6accc173e.jpg

P1010526.jpg.a58aee26bf40d6ccc7f91019cf1fc5e2.jpg

P1010548.jpg.bf76f2914db4444ab7f6dac499e54d54.jpg

Greetings, just a quick question... is this new aircraft going to have a steerable nose-wheel?

Very nice looking though, especially in that picture above the trees. Rather puts one in mind of the "Nutramatic Cup".... it's held there by art!

Redair.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Fred Bear

I am having a fly of the Sierra next Mon/Tue when visiting up there. Spoke to Garry for quite a while on the phone today. Garry knows I like controls to be solid and a little less on the 'twitchy' side. Says I will probably love the Sierra. Will be taking some pics too and providing a report so I am looking forward to it. Dare I say if I came across extra cash I would go for the 912S...Lots of money involved there though.

Hi all Cheetah buyers,builders, I flew Garry's Cheetah earlier this year, what a honey to fly. I purchased one a week later but have only just started on the fuselage due to having to try & clear the hangar of 2 other aircraft. The Cheetah is the best bang for your buck in Australia's aviation world. Support an Aussie kit manufacturer & buy one , you will not be disappointed.

Coltri

Guest Fred Bear

I don't know that I will get to fly Garys Sierra this trip up. Weather has been horrible the whole time. May get to do it Friday on the way home for a short time although I wanted to spend the day there to see Garys operation in action in the hanger.

Well to whom it may concern I Flew to Taree today to have a good look at the new Sierra, and I was very impressed,This aircraft looks the goods and if it flies half as good as it looks Im sure all prospective buyers would be very happy. I hope to have a fly in it in the new year, Garry dos"nt know yet but I"m hoping to persuade him.Guess who I met up there, none other than the brave Darren Masters still recovering from his terrible ordeal, Well I wish one and all a very happy Christmas and a safe flying New Year. Mike

Guest Fred Bear

Was nice to meet you Mike!! I did get to fly it. In short, loved it. Report and pics to come. Gary is on a winner with the Sierra!! ;)