ICAO code for a Lightwing ??.........

Guest Maj Millard

Guest Maj Millard

Would any of you very knowledgable folk out there happen to know the ICAO aircraft code for your basic 912 powered Lightwing (GR 912 Heliview).........thanks........Maj...034_puzzled.gif.ea6a44583f14fcd2dd8b8f63a724e3de.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Thanks Patrick.........hope your well, we missed you at Old Station mate.............Maj:cool:

Thanks Maj, I really miss hanging with you and the north QLD mob of rouge aviators. If you are going to flight plan, most ATC's won't know what an AC4 is, I recommend using ULAC, look under the special codes from the above document, this will make more sense to us.

I'd also double check AC4 - ICAO list Light Wing as a Swiss Company so I don't think that code is correct. If you use the ICAO site you will find that Hughes Group have not even been allocated a manufacturer code and they have no aircraft listed with codes either.

Here is a link that refers to the swiss AC4. Looks like a nice little aircraft, but definatly not a lightwing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_Wing_AC4

and

http://www.lightwing.ch/index.php?id=ac4

Guest Maj Millard

I thought I did see a code for a LW once somewhere....just want to complete the aircraft info section on Ozrunways...........Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

I thought I did see a code for a LW once somewhere....just want to complete the aircraft info section on Ozrunways...........Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

HOWARD HUGHES

Austalian LightWing Sport 2000 LWIN L L1P

Australian LightWing GR-912 LWIN L L1P

Australian LightWing GA-912 LWIN L L1P

Australian LightWing GR-582 LWIN L L1P

Australian LightWing Speed SP-2000 LW20 L L1P

Pocket Rocket PR-582 PRPR L L1P

Pocket Rocket PR-Bipe PRBP L L1P

Pocket Rocket PR-Breeze PRBR L L1P

Pocket Rocket PR-XP PRPR L L1P

Guest Maj Millard

Hey that's great Camel, well done, where did you find all that ?.....you go to top of class for sure.......011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

I very rarely submit a flight plan these days, but I always submit a sartime using naips. When I do I use the ICAO code if the aircraft has one or ULAC if it doesn't. To help out the poor controller in the RMK section I usually type in the actual call sign.

Eg: when I flew a Foxbat last weekend:

Aircraft ID: 244422

Aircraft type: AP22

RMK: Callsign is Foxbat 4422

I started doing this on the suggestion of an ATC who pointed out that this would make it much easier to contact me on the radio if they needed to, as most of them are unfamiliar with recreational type designators.

I usually get the type designators off the ICAO site as Camel suggested. They also have a search function which can be a bit clunky, but generally works after a few tries: http://www.icao.int/publications/DOC8643/Pages/Search.aspx

Cheers

Jeremy

• Informative 1

Jeremy

I agree with your suggestion - do what makes it easy for both the local controllers and ourselves. The difference here is they like aircraft ID as the four numbers only and the 24 only in the aircraft rego in aircraft particulars. As a result of a request from YBTL 'approach' that is what I do and now have no problems.

I have recently been to both YBMK and YBRK with no problem or comment so they appear to be happy with this approach.

With regard to aircraft type mine being a J230 the designator is a JAB4 - I am assuming that a JAB[anything] for the purposes of a controller would mean a Jabiru which would loosely fit them all. I was given as traffic to another aircraft only this morning as a JAB4. If I didn't fly a Jabiru I would have no idea what the 4 meant.

I can see in you example [AP22] - until reading your post it would have meant nothing to me, initial thoughts being PA, and would expect a Piper.

With relation to submitting a flight plan for CTA VFR, as a result of a meeting with the local controllers they stated that this is what they "prefer" although not "required" as the transponder code is issued to a flight plan when submitted. Submitting details via radio can result in delays if they are busy as they have to manually provide a code - their words not mine. So I elect to take the path of most convenience to all.

The result being I experience no difference between operating a VH or 24 registered aircraft. The end result is everyone is happy.

Patrick may have another view.

G'day Frank, I've not tried only the last four digits of the rego when I submit a sartime. I'll give it a go next time I go flying, it would certainly be that little bit simpler.

cheers

Jeremy