Maintenance Programs/Training

redozbris

Howdy All,

I am slowly building my new nynya, and it dawned on me early in the piece that I know very little about engine maintenance, I've been housing Bert Flood, but they dont seem to be very interested (nearly two years now) about doing a course for maintenance on engines, repairs, programmed maintenance inspections etc etc. Has anyone heard of anything in Australia? I dont mind the travel, but I dont want to fly to the US for a couple of weeks to do the training, that for some reason seems to be hiding somewhere in Australia

ReD

• Like 1

It's a good idea, but I don't know what is available> Most courses in Aust give you the ability to do servicing on your own plane and concentrate on the adherence to set schedules and legal requirements and documentation. Tearing your engine down is not recommended by any but dedicated and accredited workshops anyhow . If you have specific engine(s) in mind see what the manufacturer provides.

I have done many by the SAAA and RAAus (Jabiru), but they are pretty limited in scope but having said that probably appropriate to the level of maintenance the average person could be capable of..

I would check what EAA (USA) have available as a starting point. Nev

• Like 1

The new RAAus tech manager wants to do more with maintenance training too.Have you sent this query to him?

But one problem with European things is that the factory often has a very negative policy with respect to owner-maintenance. They expect you to ship things back to the factory, or at least a factory agent, which doesn't suit people like me who want to do it for themselves.

In the meantime, my advice would be to learn how to do the 50 and 100 hour services by gathering information and then doing a service under the supervision of an expert.

regards, Bruce

• Agree 2

A good motor mechanic should be able to pass on a lot of info.

Read engine repair manuals for cars, trucks, tractors etc, bearing in mind that there is a lot more complexity in modern cars that an aircraft engine. try your local library.

See if you can find a mechanic who will letb you look over his shoulder, or better still swing a spanner.

Most engine reconditioners have gone out of business. By the time the engine needs rebuilding the car is shot everywhere else. Generally another motor is fitted from a wreck or Japan. Silly b33gers like me still do them occasionally. Nev