Supply of 6inch tyres

Guest Maj Millard

Well I like to run aviation grade tires, so I generally source mine from a GA maintenance organizaion. If you run standard tires they can be sourced from a wheels and castor supply shop, a tyre outlet who stocks smaller tires for ride-on mowers etc, or from someone who supplies ride-on mowers, golfbuggies or the likes. The large 'Tundra" type tires are actually OEM equipment on the front of John Deere lawn equipment, so can often be sourced there. Hope this helps...If your chasing the 15 X 6.00 X 6 aircraft grade tires they arean't as common as standard 6.00 x x6 which are used on just about everything. The 15 s are mostly used on single-engined retractable Cessnas such as the 172 RG or 182/188 RGs..If you pay the big $$ and fit aviation grade, they will probabily outlast the aircraft !........Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

A related topic, Maj: tubes for 6.00 X 6 aero tyres. I did the right thing and paid $95 for a proper aero tube that rewarded me with leaks. Local tyre shop got me out of trouble for just $20. That's right, new tube fitted for $20. They used a tube meant for a ride-on mower, and said the leaking one was the same grade... I would have been happier to have an aero grade tube that won't let me down, but who can you trust?

I have always used slime in motorcycle and bicycle tyres- with mostly excellent results- but have been told its a no-no in aircraft tyres. Any suggestions?

Guest Maj Millard

I have never seen to many dramas with the aviation tubes, occasionally a valve will ripoff if the pressure gets too low, and the tube rotates on the rim during a rough touch down. The ones I have seen lately have all been Michelin tubes.........Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

• 1 month later...

Trelleborg in Dandenong south supply 6 or 10 ply 5 or 6 inch tyres of differing widths. I bought some recently and the were about 80 bucks for two with tubes....please don't say they are for an aeroplane....