Tacho for Rotax 503

Hi all.

Can anyone shed light on whether there is a great difference in the accuracy of an old style 'Westach' type needle tachos vs rotax 'clock style' item.

Have been flying a 503 powered craft with the former which is rather hard to read and wondered whether the accuracy is ok or whether it is just the small scale of the display which is the problem. aviasport.gif.3816a3d454e31581a5891f5b7644b415.gif

westach.jpg.c8394537cba7f66c20c92bd41763cc9d.jpg

Guest Maj Millard

Hi Sebb, I've used both over the years, and they are both ok, however I'd go with the aviasport one if I had a choice for better quality...........Maj...014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

Thanks Maj - just trying to decipher some under-performance and thought I'd start by checking the RPM etc as that Westach is a bugger of a thing.

Even thinking of trying one of these for diagnostic purposes.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Go-Kart-Engine-Hour-Tacho-Meter-Yamaha-Rotax-Comer-/130935171904?pt=AU_Go_Kart_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e7c582b40

Guest Maj Millard

Not familiar with the digital tach at all. The go-cart folks use a lot of Rotaxs maybe they would know a bit about it. The Rotax tach pulse is not that complicated, as long as you can find something that is accurate enough and reliable........Maj....

Ah - have heard of the tiny tachs - might be worth a look!

Just a 'heads up' on Tiny Tachs - they are LCD and as such can sometimes be a bugger to interpret in bright sunlight.

Thanks Riley- good point.

Given the $29 outlay, I just ordered the cheapy on eBay to do a ground calibration exercise, but depending on the outcome, will then see whether an upgrade is needed. A tiny tack in the cockpit would e handy though....