RA-Aus instructor certification, is it worth it?

Tomo

I must have missed the part in tomos post where he asked if he would get rich off instructing. I reckon he's been around Lon enough now to know that's not gunna happen.

I know tomo, and I know where his question is coming from and tomo, if you think you have something to offer other young ( and old) pilots to be, and you think you will genuinely care about them help them achieve their goals, then go for it mate. The raa will still be here next year.:)

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

Thanks everyone, Motz has hit the nail on the head... I'm not looking at doing it for a living!! Just a hobby to share my love of flying with others.

Will be down your way in a couple weeks again Motz, checking out a couple of things. I'll let you know when I'm there and we might be able to catch up.

Thanks again for your support.

Thanks everyone, Motz has hit the nail on the head... I'm not looking at doing it for a living!! Just a hobby to share my love of flying with others.Will be down your way in a couple weeks again Motz, checking out a couple of things. I'll let you know when I'm there and we might be able to catch up.

My thoughts are twofold, one I enjoy teaching ,have put a few apprentices through over the years, and even considered going into the school system as tech teacher.

Secondly , as I get older I am thinking I may not be able to continue the pretty physical job I have now ,nor will I want to, instructing would give me an income, doing what I love !

The clincher for me in the decision to do the rating was a few weeks ago, I was coming back over sugar loaf dam and it occurred to me that the only time I was truly happy was mucking around in aeroplanes !

Now I just have to settle on a school to do the RAA course through, which is in its self not an easy decision

• Like 1

Hi davebutlerWhat we need is an airfield in the Redland/Cleveland area for southsiders!

Mate if you could organise that I would be there like a shot.

I do frequent Heck Field but there is no regular H&F or school.

What do you currently fly and from where?

Cheers

DB

Thanks everyone, Motz has hit the nail on the head... I'm not looking at doing it for a living!! Just a hobby to share my love of flying with others.Will be down your way in a couple weeks again Motz, checking out a couple of things. I'll let you know when I'm there and we might be able to catch up.

Love to help Tomo , we run full or part time courses as well. You'll never regret it! I love it! Truly the most satisfying thing I've ever worked in. Best wishes.

• Like 1

When I was driving over to the school I fly for, it was a good day if the small amount of pay cover the fuel expense to get there and back. Now I have my own Aircraft to use to transit, the time and fuel costs aren't as much and if the weather is off then there is no flying anyway.I knew from the start, earning an instructor rating and instructing on saturdays would cost me way more than I would ever earn.

My motivation was and still is to keep working on my own skill and ability and that sure is the case while working though the rating course, plus I believed the challenge of teaching student pilots , both in the aircraft and on the white board, would be extremely satisfying. It is, and if I can help someone learn the skill and procedures of flying an aircraft safely whilst continuing to build my own skill and discipline, then that is great, and so far I have no regrets.

Best thing is, each week I still do the countdown to saturday , watching the wx forecast with anticipation...........can't wait. 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

cheers

JimG

Hi Jim,

Hows things? Glad to hear you are still instructing. Where are you instructing at the moment?

Hi Dave, things are going well, I'm still working with Kev although it is a bit hit and miss as he is winding down .

I've thought about approaching other schools to try to get more hours but then my day jobs gets in the road. At the moment work is really getting busy and I'll most likely have to work quite a few saturdays coming up. I don't want to try to convince another school to give me a go only to be unreliable , so for now I'll just keep going doing what I can when I can.

Cheers

JimG