Running on condition

Keith W

Guest Maj Millard

Yes it can if used only for private use. It cannot be used for any type of instruction, or for hire.............Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Yes it can if used only for private use. It cannot be used for any type of instruction, or for hire.............Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Thanks Maj, what happens after1500 hours when your running on condition, Keith

Guest Maj Millard

Well the 1500 or 2000 hours as recommended by the manufacturer, is the recommended time before overhaul ( TBO ). Generally beyond that if the private owner so chooses, certain parameters should be closely observed and monitored. Oil and oil filter should be closely checked for metal contamination, and particularly for an increase over that normally found which should be just a trace. A log of the engines oil consumption should be kept, and should it be excessive the engine may be ready for overhaul. The compressions should be within range, and no major oil leaks observed. Rated RPMs should still be obtainable IE: rated horsepower. Oil pressure and temp operating parameters should be with manufacturers recommended ranges. .....All the manufacturers recommendations should still be observed..IE: five year rubber replacement etc...in some cases the engines service interval may be reduced, to say 50 or 75 hour intervals instead of the normal 100 hours............Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

I w

I believe 1500 hour engines can be increased to 2000 hour tbo.Rotax specify whatchanges are needed.

I was under the impression that there is a serial number range that can be increased to 2000 hours & earlier ones that are stuck at 1500.

Guest Maj Millard

Running 'on condition' has nothing to do with increasing TBO. On condition occurres after the TBO has expired. Instead of carrying out the recommended overhaul you instead as a private operator elect to continue to operate 'on condition'. The increase from 1200 to 1500 , and from 1500 to 2000 on recommended TBOs was instigated by Rotax because they found that those engine could go for a longer time, before requiring overhaul. You can still elect to operate 'on condition' after the extended TBOs have expired, but only on privately operated aircraft..And yes, I would agree there is a lot required to extend the TBOs as allowed on some engines, to the the point where it is hardly worth it for an additional 500 hrs, unless of course it's a trainer or for hire aircraft, when that additional 500 hrs represents additional income...............Maj....

It has been found that some engines operated "on condition" are in a much worse state when finally overhauled and can cost more to rectify. You are not only running with less reliability, you may end up spending more money in the long run.

Generally engines have a finite economic life. I believe a Cont or Lyc should run most of it's second life and then be disposed of with some hours left. You don't get a lot for it but the new engine doesn't end up costing you much more than a rebuild once you add what you got for the running engine. Usually less than 15% price difference. Nev

I wI was under the impression that there is a serial number range that can be increased to 2000 hours & earlier ones that are stuck at 1500.

Yeah, I think your right there. The closer the 1500 hr ones are to the 2000hr serial engines, the less changes are needed I think.

Guest Maj Millard
It has been found that some engines operated "on condition" are in a much worse state when finally overhauled and can cost more to rectify. You are not only running with less reliability, you may end up spending more money in the long run.Generally engines have a finite economic life. I believe a Cont or Lyc should run most of it's second life and then be disposed of with some hours left. You don't get a lot for it but the new engine doesn't end up costing you much more than a rebuild once you add what you got for the running engine. Usually less than 15% price difference. Nev

Who has found that Facto ?,........with the 912 s for instance engines that have done well over TBO and into the 3-4000 hour range, have been found to not need much more that a top end valve grind. They are often then ready for another couple a thousand. In my experience with high time users,after that they are quite happy to buy a new engine at that point anyway, figuring they have well and truly got their moneys worth, and they generally don't bother doing the overhaul thing.

These are people using their aircraft every day of the week in a rural property situations, so the engines don't get to sit for too long, and in most cases they are pretty regular with the oil changes...One negative of operating on the bush is often the quality of the fuel, and this can add to the build-up of carbon deposits on valves and valve-seats...........Maj....024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

In mustering and such it might pay money wise, to run the 912 till it dies (If you have plenty of places to land) The info I used related to the common engines. Once an engine has bedded in it runs with less blowby and works well, until it deteriorates and the oil contamination becomes a consideration and wear rates increase. Extending the period has resulted in many engines being found in quite bad condition. Nev