Turn a 230 into a 430?

fatmal

Is it possible to take a 19-reg J230, register it GA and throw a couple of extra seats in the back, turning it into a 430?

Would MTOW then go to 700Kgs?

Assuming that the plane would then be VH-experimental, could the owner (not the builder) perform maintenance?

mal

I'm pretty sure the only way that works is that you have to have been the builder and have an extensive builders log that will satisfy the casa appionted approved person that you truly were the builder ,reciepts , dates , invoices , ect .and the build is of a high standard

Then you would have to do the casa maintaince coarse $ aprox 600. Ish (that's with the saaa.)first year member , ( gets cheeper with each year of membership )

The MTOW would be according to the model and year it was built

Cheers Mike

I'm pretty sure the only way that works is that you have to have been the builder and have an extensive builders log that will satisfy the casa appionted approved person that you truly were the builder ,reciepts , dates , invoices , ect .and the build is of a high standardThen you would have to do the casa maintaince coarse $ aprox 600. Ish (that's with the saaa.)first year member , ( gets cheeper with each year of membership )

The MTOW would be according to the model and year it was built

Cheers Mike

AVOCET,

So if someone was building either from a kit or scratch an aircraft that is to be RAAust reg. as experimental and RAAust no longer exists could it be transfered / or registered GA experimental.

Regards Keith

Carnt answer hypotheticals.

I don't make the rules

Cheers .

As it stands now , if you want to go either Raa or VH ex . It's your choice , as long as your the builder .

Cheers Mike .

I don't think Raa 's going anywhere soon .

Carnt answer hypotheticals.I don't make the rules

Cheers .

As it stands now , if you want to go either Raa or VH ex . It's your choice , as long as your the builder .

Cheers Mike .

I don't think Raa 's going anywhere soon .

thanks

Yes its a pretty easy conversion, just two glass panels for the rear seats, upolstery and seatbelts - $2 K i think??

Both j230 and 430 are the same and 600 kg is restriction by RAA. The aircraft is certified and tested to 700 kg

I believe you can convert to GA experimental but being a j230 (LSA and not owner built id assume) then must be LAME maintained

I was looking into it but didnt ever do it. I reckon Jabiru would be a big help through this process with documents and advice

• Agree 1

I don't know the answer to the original question, but I suspect it would be problematic. There's also the distinction between being able to do maintenance on a VH experimental, and being authorised to sign off the annuals (for which you need to do the MPC course anyway). It used to be that to sign off the annuals you had to be the original builder of a 51% kit, and you could only do it for your own aircraft. If you sold it, the new owner could work on it but a LAME had to sign off the annuals. Now however, if you have built a similar aircraft and bought another (eg built RV-4, bought RV-8), you as the new owner can sign off the annuals. Therefore I think to qualify to sign off the annuals on an ex RAA Jab (assuming it met the 51% rule), you would at least have to be able to prove equivalent building experience. If it's currently registered as an E-LSA, I think you can forget about going for VH-Experimental. The maintenance privileges don't apply to E-LSA's and I doubt that you could change the classification (and consequently the weight limit). But I suggest the only way to be sure whether it's possible or not is to give CASA a call.

rgmwa