The Maj kicks off another Major.........

Guest Maj Millard

Hey! Ross and Richard! You`ve both taken me back a long way and brought back some great memories. Here are a few.

Way back when! I took a young bloke up for his first fligh in an Ultralight aircraft ( Drifter ). He went on to become a Trike and DrifterCFI, then ran his own flight school, up on the Atherton Tablelands.

Took this guy up ( He`s on this forum, just doesn`t go public much ), he came back,learnt to fly the Drifter, obtained his AUF pilot certificate, went on to fly choppers and ran his own hellicopter flying school out of Cairns airport. He blames me for giving him the flying bug.

This kid wanted to get a start in aviation so his dad brought him to me. I gave him the challenge to become the youngest person to obtain an AUF pilot certificate. He achieved it and held it. Later went into GA and the last time I made contact,he was in the left seat of the 737 for QANTAS.

It was the Babinda Sugar Festival and I was asked to fly into the Babinda sports ground as part of the festival, I did and was taking flights. This young kid had been watching for a while so I went over and had a bit of a chat. He said he would love to go for a flight but his mum didn`t have enough money, I said forget the money and took him up. He later came back and started flight training.

The other side of it, so to speak! When I was instructing I took this lady up for her first flight and she loved it so much she thought her father would love it too, so she shouted him a flight for his birthday. The day came and the lady and family turned up. Her father got out of the car, wondering what was going on. The lady led him to the Drifter and told him he was going for a fly. He took one look at it and said 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif" I`m not going up in that thing! "........ He didn`t.

Frank.

• Like 2
  • Winner 3

Won't be too hard Teckair, but my point is that this is a 'feel good' story and as usual it doesn't take long for a "Oh, but this could happen" remark to come out and rain on the parade. Can we just enjoy some sunshine on a cloudy day here for once? Good on ya Maj too....

Fact...most of us have done beat ups at times while spectacular they can be be deadly, as has been proven over time, I aim to refrain from doing the them while I am still alive.

Fact...most pilots will let a passenger feel the controls at some time (being an instructor I have done it hundreds of times) but it is illegal if you are not an instructor and I know of at least one accident as a result so that most likely means there will be others. When I went flying with Frank it was before he was an instructor and pilot certificates were not required then, I did not feel the controls but I still got the flying bug.

I think your 'point' is misguided RAAus has enough problems without people advocating breaking the rules and doing illegal things on public forums. The way we are going we will be lucky to have an organisation so it seems to me we should be trying to get things right.

Richard.

• Like 1

Bloody legend Frank. That's what I'm talking about. ...

Thanks Rocket. I realy appreciate it.

I`ve always tried to keep good public relations and still do. Over the years there`s been many occasions that I`ve taken up someone on the spur of the moment, just to enjoy flying for flying`s sake alone.

A couple of feel good stories.... One of our daughters and family, live near the southern end of the Mundoo ( Innisfail ) aerodrome. I would fly down, leave the Drifter near the fence of the aerodrome and walk to their house. This day, when I got back to the Drifter there was a guy, accross the road mowing his front lawn. He was looking hard at me walking around the Drifter so I went over and asked if he would like to go for a fly. He`d never been near one of these aircraft but he couldn`t stop the mower fast enough. When we got back he was so pleased, he said " My wife is never going to believed this."

Ross road ends into our property and a couple on holidays found themselves at our boundry so I went out to say G`Day. We got talking and I told them I flew Ultralight aircraft. The guy got intestered so I asked him if he would like to go for a fly, he did and so I took him up. Made his holiday,he said.

One of our granddaughters and her partner live here on the property, in the house left vacant after the passing of my parents. I`ve taken here flying several times, also her partner, Sam. They have a twelve month old daughter and are very keen for me to take her flying as soon as she is old enough.

I`ve taken all except the two youngest of our eight grand children flying several times and now I`m looking forward to taking my great granddaughter flying in the Drifter. There`s another great grandchild on the way and if I`m still fit enough by the time he or she is old enought to come fly with me, you better believe we will be going flying.

Frank.

• Like 5

Guest Maj Millard

The true spirit of real UL flying there Frank, it would be nice if some of the newbies could enjoy the same spirit that built the RAA and the AUF before it. Unfortunatly by reading some of their posts, it's obvious that they have missed the boat entirely.............Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

We flew rc aircraft as kids. A local bloke who also flew rc had his ppl and flew shark patrol in school hols for the local council. He took me for a flight as a 10 yr old. That was enough to make me take it up 30 years later.... Amazing how many things grow from little seeds....

If one is banned from casting seeds not much grows

• Agree 2

Fact...most of us have done beat ups at times while spectacular they can be be deadly, as has been proven over time, I aim to refrain from doing the them while I am still aliveRichard.

interesting fact. I note that it is also a fact that almost all of us have taken animals of a porcine persuasion for a fly, however as per the RA-Aus regulations they are strapped in backwards.

• Like 1

interesting fact. I note that it is also a fact that almost all of us have taken animals of a porcine persuasion for a fly, however as per the RA-Aus regulations they are strapped in backwards.

Yep time to stop posting on here.

• Agree 1