ABBREVIATIONS.....WHAT THE ??

Guest disperse

Guest disperse

as a complete newbie the bigest problem i have faced (besides the missus:hug:) is the many many abbreviations used through out the forums and more so the RAA (recreational aviation australia)website.....im not suggesting that they're not used or explained in every post . But if we could have a thread with some explainations that would be TOPS:cool:............

GA........general aviation

MTOW...maximum take off weight

EFOTO...engine failure on take off

anyway the list go,s on and on THANKS Troy

That link is good but at a quick glance I couldn't see ARFOR, Area Forecast.

The AIP Aeronautical Information Publication has just about all the abbreviations and also definitions.

See if your flight school or instructor has a copy to look at.

Guest ozzie

Here's a couple of important ones

TORA "takeoff run available"

TODA "takeoff distance available"

substitute T for L for landing.

ozzie

Guest Redair

A few more

B1RD: A flying animal.

DFWH: Don't Fly With Him/Her.

DEAD: Don't Ever Aviate Drunk.

IDSFABIPIOMSTBTIAP: It Doesn't stand For Anything But I Printed It On My Shirt To Break The Ice At Parties.

Redair.

Abbreviations.

Going back a bit , It's EFATO. (this is from memory)engine failure AT take off. It all adds to the enormous confusion in this game. I can only sympathise with anyone starting out new, now. Personally, I hate all TLA's (Three Letter Abbreviations). Read somewhere the other day that ADF. means Austalian Defence Forces. (& all this time I thought it meant Automatic Direction Finder).At least the new new starts don"t have to unlearn the old meanings . Nev..

Guest Rocko

Abbrevs... ;)

Pucker event?

That sounds more like a Brown trousers thing! ;)

Always know it's a hair raising one, when it's a "3 change of underwear" trip!

Scotty

Guest ozzie

may as well drag the dept in on this

DCA

DOA

DOT

DOTC

CAA

CASA

DONC

I think i missed one. and the order maybe.

Abbreviations.

Darren,---- couldn't see the relevence of that, as the aircraft's performance (Climb gradient & accelerate-stop) in this situation,(multi-engine) is probably what is being considered. If these abbreviations are used & the readers are not clear as to what is intended, then it becomes very tedious to look up what they mean, if in fact they have a ready & reliable reference at hand.

Most people, as they read, make a guess as to what the meaning is, increasing the vagueness of the whole thing,& the learning or communication process is degraded. Unless you are using these abbreviations in the context of use by a group who are very familiar with their meaning, their use should be minimised, or eliminated. ...Nev..

Guest Fred Bear

When I flew GA I was taught Engine Failure After Take Off. The event that your engine should become deceased after you have left the deck. In GA, it's still current term and I am guessing our movement here would not be any different. Do a Google Search for EFATO. You will get the same consistent results.

Abbreviations.

Found a reference to it in the new CASA Flight Instructor Manual, not in the form of an abbreviation." Engine Failure After Take-Off" (in the night flying section.) Since this relates to all flying (since you don't do any before take-off) shouldn't it be called simply, IN FLIGHT ENGINE FAILURE. My whole point is that these things create confusion. N....

Guest Fred Bear

The engine failure after take off is named such as it occurs during that exact time. Just after the aircraft has taken off and is in its most crucial flight phase and BANG! Usually leads to a spin as the pilot tried to turn back to the runway. Engine failures during flight could mean at cruise etc. There are many definitions. I mean, you can have an engine failure on final. All crucial wording when submitting reports.