Importing timber

Does anyone here have personal experience of importing aircraft grade timber from the USA (specifically from Aircraft Spruce & Speciality)?

If so, how much more does this cost than their published US prices, and is there any major hassle from customs as regards importing timber?

Many thanks

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

I haven't imported any timber but i would imagine it would be a nightmare.I'm currently building a kr2-s and im using hoop pine from boatcraft pacific in Brisbane its very similar to douglas fir and is a fraction of the price of spruce.

Jason

Bruce...no hassle at all! I ordered the Spruce capstrip from AS&S in the USA. Ordered it and it was on my doorstep in about 10 days. No hassle at all. Dont order from the AS&S agent in Queensland as he will rip you off faster than look at you. When I questioned him about his quote of $900 compared to the AS&S quote from the USA of $330, he came up with some cock and bull story about import fees etc. There were none. I paid AS&S their $330 and that was it. Maybe I was lucky, I dont know.

Scotty 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Thanks for your replies.

I looked into hoop pine, seems it's good for longerons but not suitable for bending. So I guess I'll follow Scotty's lead & try ordering direct from AS&S in the States. Thanks Scotty.

Bruce

Thanks for your replies.I looked into hoop pine, seems it's good for longerons but not suitable for bending. So I guess I'll follow Scotty's lead & try ordering direct from AS&S in the States. Thanks Scotty.

Bruce

You will have no problem bending hoop pine than any other suitable aircraft timber Bruce and if you do make a mistake your back pocket will be much happier forking out for more Hoop than Spruce i'll bet:thumb up: .What do you plan on building?

Jason

Great, thanks guys. Seems hoop pine could be the way to go, but I'll need to do some brief calcs to see what sort of weight penalty that implies. I might go with spruce if your supplier is reasonable though Scotty. Jason, did you have to personally select your hoop pine from Pacific Boatcraft, or were you able to order wood of suitable quality (grain runout, knot free, etc) just by telling them what you needed?

I'm planning to build a MiniMax. But before I can do that, I need to build a good size shed - present one is way too cramped. So for the past 6 weeks I've been preparing a 6x6 metre base - levelling site, digging footings, then laying hardcore from the creek bed. 5 cubic metres of concrete booked for Tuesday, flatpack shed already here.

THEN I can start getting down to some proper work. I can seal the floor & insulate the shed while I'm waiting for timber deliveries. Oh, and make the workbench, etc. Long process, this aircraft building. . .

Great, thanks guys. Seems hoop pine could be the way to go, but I'll need to do some brief calcs to see what sort of weight penalty that implies. I might go with spruce if your supplier is reasonable though Scotty. Jason, did you have to personally select your hoop pine from Pacific Boatcraft, or were you able to order wood of suitable quality (grain runout, knot free, etc) just by telling them what you needed? I'm planning to build a MiniMax. But before I can do that, I need to build a good size shed - present one is way too cramped. So for the past 6 weeks I've been preparing a 6x6 metre base - levelling site, digging footings, then laying hardcore from the creek bed. 5 cubic metres of concrete booked for Tuesday, flatpack shed already here.

THEN I can start getting down to some proper work. I can seal the floor & insulate the shed while I'm waiting for timber deliveries. Oh, and make the workbench, etc. Long process, this aircraft building. . .

Ahh good stuff Bruce there is a fair amount of timber work in a Minimax.

I didn't select my timber personally but there are a couple of ways you can go,you can pretty much hand them a cutting list and have them cut all the timber to the specs you require which is the more expensive alternative OR you can slip down to Bunnings and buy a thicknesser and table saw and just order lengths of boards and just rip and plane your timber as you need it.

I Generally buy 19 x 116 x 5ooomm boards and the only downside to buying the larger stock i have come across are some minor blemishes but its excellent quality.

http://boatcraft.com.au/Shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=138&zenid=37049e34a40811b1908ea9dfc6ae0789

Jason

Thanks, Jason - good suggestion on the thicknesser. I already have a semi half decent table saw, also a router & table. Might have a trial run thicknessing with the router, but there's several kilometres of wood to do, so will prolly buy a thicknesser.

Which thicknesser do you use? My local Bunnings does the Ryobi & Ozito cheapies (at $400 - 450). Are these any good do you know?

Cheers

Bruce

Thanks, Jason - good suggestion on the thicknesser. I already have a semi half decent table saw, also a router & table. Might have a trial run thicknessing with the router, but there's several kilometres of wood to do, so will prolly buy a thicknesser.Which thicknesser do you use? My local Bunnings does the Ryobi & Ozito cheapies (at $400 - 450). Are these any good do you know?

Cheers

Bruce

Hi Bruce ,

I have hade good results with the Ryobi thicknesser, haven't built an aircraft with one yet! but I have built 2 houses and a bunch of furniture. I've used mine on every thing from 10mm pine up to 300 x 100 mm hardwood sleepers.

Cheers

Shaun

• Agree 1