Palmyra

davidb3296

There is a small private strip at Marian about 30k west of Mackay. Is this the sort of thing you had in mind. I fly into there occasionally. It has 00 - 18 & 09 - 27 but reasonably short. I get the Jab 230 in & out quite easily.

Can give you the contact number if you are interested.

• Like 1

Guest Maj Millard

Haven't actually landed at Palmyra myself but have been over it many times, and know it's location well. Generally I 'll go into Marian, which is pretty much due west of Palmyra. Palmyra is right on the edge of the Mackay CTR, so one must be carefull not to enter the CTA during circuiting. The Palmyra strip is situated at a drag-strip and a grass strip runs parallel to it, with several hangars beside it. Several of the local flyers base there and I believe it is a mix of GA and RAA. Forumite. 'Hongie '. ( Brad Hong) may provide more info if you send him a PM......................Maj...

There is a small private strip at Marian about 30k west of Mackay. Is this the sort of thing you had in mind. I fly into there occasionally. It has 00 - 18 & 09 - 27 but reasonably short. I get the Jab 230 in & out quite easily.

Just out of interest, what length are you talking about, I'm interested how short a strip a J230 pilots would use and what would be your minimum with clear approaches ?

Guest Maj Millard

Camel, not sure of actual lengths. A C182 jump plane often operates there and one of the owners has a C150 Aerobat. Main strip runs parallel with a busy road with a powerline, cane train rail line, hangars and residences all on the Eastern side. The rest is sourrounded by cane fields and generally clear. The normal approach from a Northerly direction is clear once you've accounted for the power line along the road. The field is privately owned. A second shorter strip intersects the main strip and is sourrounded on both sides by cane. I have operated the Lightwing out of there at close to MTOW and was airborne about halfway down the strip, so I'm thinking its around 800 mts.

The sugar town of Marian is easily located with its sugar mill and river, and the airfield is due South about 2-3nm.................Maj...014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

Hey mate, i fly out of palmyra what do you want to know?

As Maj said, very close to mackay control zone. 36/18. circuits on 18 all rh. Dont extend your downwind for 18, if you go to far north, once you turn base you will encroach airspace. Fly Neighborly, offset track on takeoff from 18 to avoid whingers at the end of the strip. 'Strip' is the return road for the dragstrip, watch out for cars, bikes etc that may be there doing driver/rider training, they usually stay on the dragstrip proper.

Anything else just ask mate.

• Like 1

Guest Maj Millard

Mmmm.......... nice if you've got a spare 1.2 mil or so. Do have a good look at the actual location from the air if you can. I have heard that there are some concernes about home developments encroaching on Marian from the North east. If you buy it we'll come and visit ok.......................Maj.....014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

Would like to see here, a thread dedicated to a growing list of user waypoints that others can read and get good info from.

Strip info / food / fuel / etc etc

Folks here, you me, can update as we come across new locations and share the info. The current one ( outback pubs, fuel ) is great, but " locked " so increasing the data is not possible.

I would suggest a "state" by "state" format. Not just one big listing .