Which Battery

Guest Andys@coffs

Guest Andys@coffs

Hi guys

Can anyone tell me what the standard battery is that Jabiru put in with the 3300? I know its an Odyssey, but not which version (CCA capability). Ive looked in the technical manuals but didnt identify what battery it was, and the aircraft is too far away for a quick look before the weekend.

Either mine is on the way out, or winter in the southern climes doesnt agree with it. Im finding that unless I flew the day before Im unlikely to be able to start my motor in the morning without one or both, of a jump start from a running car and, or, application of "Start ya Bastard" into the air intake. I use W100plus. After 1st start of the day there is no further problem starting.

I presume that with the battery going on for 2 years its probably close to change over time.

Anyone care to comment on what the battery is and what life we should expect out of them?

Andy

Battery

I have had a Yuasa Gel sealed battery in my CH701 for 9 years and it still turns the 912 over on a cold morning. I'm not sure of the size but it weighs 5 kg.

David

Andy

The installation manual for my 3300 reads as below.

The box for mine is over in the shed and it's blowing a gale + raining Datsun Cogs at the moment so will send the Odyssey model off the box later today.

10.5 Battery - The battery should be of a light weight, 12V, 20 Ah type able to accept a charging voltage up to 14 V (+ 0.8V) and a 25 AMP Input.

Unquote

Hope this helps initially.

Regards Geoff

Guest Andys@coffs

Thanks Geoff, I saw that as well, but when online looking for the batteries noticed that all the resellers that I looked at identified the batteries Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) which doesnt translate to the Amphour rating that the tech manual identifies.

As I understand it CCA is the maximum current the battery is capable of providing and an Amp hour rating is a measure of how long in hours a battery can supply 1 amp into a load. AH is about battery capacity and CCA is about the internal resistance of the battery.

Andy

Andy, the odyssey battery for a 6cyl Jab is a PC625 which has a CCA of 265. I have always used 15w/50 aero shell oil on all my Jabs. I even run my engines in on this oil (current 4cyl on 1000Hrs). It is better for winter and summer applications. The 15 viscosity is for when the oil temp is low which gives less friction during cranking and cold running, the 50 is when the oil warms up. With 100 oil is thick when cold and when hot temp the viscosity will be lower than 50. The only advantage with the 100 oil is its a bit cheaper.

Helmut.

Guest Andys@coffs

Helmut and David thanks for the responses

Helmut, how long have Odyssey batteries lasted for you? I'm trying to work out whether the battery is on the way out, or if the poor starting is just par for course with the W100plus. Of course with a replacement value of nearly $300 Im keen to replace only if it needs it. Have you always used Odyssey or have you tried an Australian equivalent (assuming there is one manufactured here) Im all for trying to keep our $ at home if possible

Thanks again

Andy

Andy, I have just fitted a new odyssey battery to my SP 6cyl, the previous battery was 4 years old. The reason I fitted another odyssey battery was that I was given this battery by my brother . He purchased a Lightening kit this week which included a new battery which he gave to me. If I were to buy one I would get a Deka battery which is cheaper and has more CCA. These can be purchased from Battery World in Adelaide. My brother has just fitted one to his Jab and it cranks like its on steroids. I think the battery model was a EXT 16L. I tried to confirm this with him but he is currently in the middle of Spenser Gulf fishing as he is a pro fisherman.

There are a number of adelaide Jab owners using this battery at the moment and all are very happy with it.

Cheers Helmut.

• Caution 1

The PC625 Odyssey battery is fitted by the factory

· 625 cranking amps for 5 seconds

· 545 cranking amps for 10 seconds

· 480 cranking amps for 20 seconds

Our first two batteries lasted just 12 months each and after some consultation with Odyssey (as they have a two year warranty) they determined that the batteries were not being sufficiently recharged after each use.

In the Jab with all the electronics on ( radio, transponder, intercom, gyros, strobe, etc) there is a considerable current drain and very little charging of the battery and it seems that unless a flight time is over two hours there is not enough charge put back into the battery to replace what was used to start the engine especially in winter when using W100.

We were having problems when most of the flights were only for a short duration, usually an hour or less.

We now charge the battery on a charger at least once a month and have found that the problem has disappeared.

The current battery is now nearly two years and going well.

The price from battery world was just over $200

Guest Andys@coffs

I rang battery world in Adelaide and was given the following information:-

Both the ODYSSEY and the DEKA are made using the same material, containing AGM (Absorbtion Glass Mat) which I think is the substrate that holds the lead material. Apparently the AGM and the increased Lead surface area it allows is why the CCA rating on AGM is higher than most other batterys of similar size and cell makeup

The prices for both are set to increase from next month.

The Odyssey 625 was available for a mere $319

The Deka ETX16L was available for $179

The Deka is 4mm wider but the top of the battery is 20mm lower.

The Deka has a CCA rating of 10 more than the Odyssey 275 vs 265.

Both are made in the USA

Not surprisingly he sells more of the Deka than the Odyssey.

Again many thanks to those that responded.

Andy

Andy

One other point, I think, is that you should have a good hard look at your voltage regulator.

The battery may not always be to blame if the voltage regulator is giving it a hiding.

What voltage regulator do you have?

Have you checked out what Claus Grimm has to say on this on his Powermate website and personally?

Regards Geoff

Hard starting in cold conditions with Odyssey batteries is a well known problem. Their advertising of good cold cranking is false in my opinion.

The guarantee period for your battery should be Two years, so you may be able to claim on them.

If the battery has a steel case up to near the top of the battery, you will find that it is held onto the battery with silicone. Remove the steel case and it will possibly give you another year of use.

My old battery played up within about a year and a good charge fixed it, then just outside of warranty it got really bad and the local battery agent told me about removing the case. I think it acts as a heat sink on cold days, preventing the battery performing.

I have just installed a new Qdyssey as it suits me size wise and hope it gives good service.

Guest brentc

I paid $140 for a brand new replacement Odyssey for my Jab to help with cold starting in winter. It didn't work. I then started using 15w/50 and it helped a bit but didn't guarantee a start. On a cold day like the last 3 weeks even a 2 month old Odyssey fully charged won't start my plane. It simply turns over too slow. I need a jumpstart from a running car. Reducing plug gap to .20 or less can help. You also need to make sure that the choke is definitely pulling fully on. Even the slightest bit off fully on will mean no successful start.

If you've been quoted more than $200 for your Odyssey - look elsewhere!

Odessey Battery

Can someone tell me what the size of the battery compartment is in the Jabiru. Seems to me that you are paying a lot of money for what is turning out to be an inferior battery. I just paid $120 for a 110 amp-hour deep cycle battery for my caravan.

David

Andy,

The other issue regarding your cold cranking may be your starter motor. My original starter was a 1Kw identified by the starter having a black body. The newer starters are a silver body and are rated at 1.5Kw. The difference in my 3300 Jab in cold starting is huge after upgrading to the newer starter motor. I used to cross my fingers during first start on a cold morning as to whether I would get enough cranking speed. Upgraded the started and and haven't had a problem since. There is an upgrade kit available from Jabiru. You retain the gear and pinion and replace the starter body.

CHEERS

Daryl

Hi Guys

I was on eBay a couple of months ago looking at the sealed batteries (deep cycle gel filled) and I was surprised the savings between these and the Oddysse comparison. Unsure if they were Ozzie made or not but with freight included you can save yourself heaps. Have a look, it wont hurt!

Knighty