Gravity defiers

Hi Guys,

What a great site this is.

Ian is doing fantastic job as I know you'd all agree (thanks Ian for all your hard work)

I've only had a few hours with Schofields Flying club on a Warrier some years ago, prior to donating my house to the nice solicitor B------d:censored:, plus a few trips since in Dave's Jabiru out at The Oaks. Like many who have aircraft running through their blood-stream, my goal is to at least get my flying certificate before my walking-frame. I'd like to build a Terrier, but having that occasional need to eat, keeps holding me back.

Hope to catch up with some of the bunch at The Oaks this Sunday after a long break. If you see a guy in a metalic-green Falcon dribbling at the mouth while looking at the aircraft, it would have to be me. Please say hello, i'd love that, and my name is Alan.:big_grin:

Hey Alan,

There are plenty of planes today that will fit a walking frame in the cockpit. Remember, the less you eat the better they fly, soliciters need love too, but try and kerb the dribbling eh. There are some great buys in single seaters to kick off with if the Terrier is to long term. Keep the dream and the rest will happen.

Thanks for the encouragement Rod

My son suggested putting wheels on the walking frame and having a back-pack and and a chute as a cheap solution.So i told him he could do the initial test flight for me. On reflection he said he'd be happier for me to go with Dave in the Jabiru.

The picture of the Zodiac in the hanger looks nice, is it yours?

My dad tought me to drive in a Zodiac, but his was made by Ford.

You did'nt have to shout out "clear prop" when you needed to go anywhere, as the fan was behind a radiator and not hanging out the front.

Alan

Hi Alan, when I was young and reckless, I too had a Zodiac. Great machine although the brakes could have been better. One day I hit a hump-back bridge at speed and got it airborne. It didn't stay up long but that flight was so smooth, unlike the landing ;-) At least Ford have fixed the brakes now so I'm still driving one as well.

Nice to have you on board mate, you'll be in the sooner than you think.

Cheers, Doug

Hi Doug

I saw a nice Mk 2 Zodiac convertable at Wintersun in Coolangatta about 3wks ago which bought back memories of when I first got led astray, or maybe it was the other way round.

I remember chatting to a pilot at RAF St Maughan in Cornwall UK decades ago who used to fly lightnings and he said when you accelerate in them it's better than sex.

They used to have an old meteor towing a target off the coast for the lightnings to shoot at. I think i'd sooner be the one in the lightning.

Regards

Alan

Alan,

All Lightning Sqdns went the RAF Anglesey for their gunnery training. I went once but our pilots didn't do very well. Missed the targets altogether but did manage to shoot down the towing drone (unmanned tug). If memory serve me correctly, the pilot concerned was grounded for a while because it was deemed he did it deliberately. Probably got bored with shooting at the target banner. Lighnings had two or four 30mm cannons and when they were fired, the plane actually hesitated with every round fired. There is a great photo somewhere that so the staggered flight of a short burst.

For anyone interested, go to http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk A very interesting site covering many UK fighters and bombers.

Cheers, Doug

G,Day Alan,

Kids today, they just won,t follow through. Good to see you looking at all options though. You could also try the Danny Deckchair style of flying, (one of my favourite flicks). Yes (proudly said) the Zodiac is mine, errr ours. Imported it from US but unflown here to date. Just about got all the paper work done though. Looking forward to doing my Nav training in it shortly.

The Ford Zodiac must have been before the Zepher?? They did'nt have brakes either or a fan out front.

Hi Rod,

Ford Zodiac was the up market sister to the Zepher (Zephur?), aka Fairlane to Fairmont, or other way round. Correct me if I'm wrong Alan, but I believe there was also a combination model. I seem to remember a Zepher Zodiac. I also had a Zepher Farnham Estate (wagon). Good for carrying large load but again, no brakes.

Look forward to your report on flying your Zodiac Rod, have plenty of cameras on hand.

Doug

Good morning Alan,

I am building building a Terrier yes it is long term project as Rod says.

If you need some knowledge and some sort of help give me a call.

The Terrier is nearly finished.

Regards,

Keith......

Hi Doug,

I still am working out wether it's good to remember such classics? Heaters were optional ,radio if you were rich, power nothing, I think I'm getting soft.

Will definitly post report of the fun part, just got a bit more of the not fun part to go. Any reports on how many times you can check the same bolt?