Red Bull Air Race, Perth

Guest ozzie

Guest Guest

I suspect the massive crowds are there expecting to see some carnage. Surely this is a tad dangerous; has there been any crashes in it to date?

yep, there was a crash into a light pole at the Montegi demonstration event in japan.

Pilot got out alive, but shaken up, aircraft was completly destroyed.

he was turning around the light pole and clipped it with the wing tip,

tearing the wing from the aircraft and spiralling into a section of the

race track.

• 1 month later...

Odd that things have gone quiet on this thread with the race in Perth not too far away. :;)4:

I meant to add this a couple of weeks ago, but have been seriously busy.

For those of us in the Sydney area, a film night was put on by the RED BARON flying school at Bankstown.

It was sponsered (I assume) by the RED BULL crowd (free Red Bull drinks!) and showed an episode of the race, followed by a doco/movie called ONE SIX RIGHT.

A very good movie describing the history of the Van Nuys airport in California, and the perils it faces with developers waiting in the wings, sounds like a lot of Aussie airports 068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif

The night was held in a hangar at Bankstown with a quick BBQ of snags beforehand.

Also in the hangar was a fellow with a pair MS FlightSim driven motion game/rides. :big_grin:

Select from WWII fighters, modern jet fighters or Aerobatic machines, strap in and really have some fun. (I almost managed to get the EXTRA-300 under the Harbour Bridge inverted, but clipped the water!! 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

Just remember to secure any loose change in yours pockets (like I said, it does roll OVER :ah_oh: and maybe don't eat too much! :yuk: )

These nights are supposed to happen again soon so go to FLYX NIGHTS for more info, you can even register and suggest any good flying moviesw you can think of. 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Arthur.

Air Race update

TheRed Bull Air Race makes its penultimate stop in San Francisco, USA on Saturday October 7. Touching down in the city for the second year running, this year’s Air Race will again be flown over San Francisco Bay, against the fabulous backdrop of Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz Island.

Taking place between Marina Green and Aquatic Park, right next to the shore, spectators will have unprecedented views of the pilots as they fly over the water at speeds of more than 230mph in their bid to gain vital ranking points to win the Championship.

The Red Bull Air Race will take place during Fleet Week, which is an annual event held in San Francisco to honour the the men and women serving in the United States Navy, Coast Guard and Marines and it features the U.S. Navy Blue Angels.

This will be the 8th leg of the Red Bull Air Race World Series and this year's only US stop.

Currently leading with 28 points is American Kirby Chambliss, followed closely by California local Mike Mangold, the 2005 Red Bull Air Race World Series champion, and Hungarian Peter Besenyei, both tied in second place with 24 points. With three Americans competing, including newcomer to the series Michael Goulian who currently stands in fifth position, crowds can expect an exciting race and a possible podium position for one, if not more American pilots.

Perth, Australia will host the final of the Red Bull Air Race World Series in November.

• 5 weeks later...

Channell 10 has been running the red bull races about 2 or 3 weeks after the event. so maybe this weekend we may see the san francisco heat. i doubt very much if we will see the perth final live, that would cost a fortune to do and would need a following like the V8's to justify.